Did last year's US election cause hysteria for schizophrenics?

Moderators: I am nobody, Deku Tree

Jesus

Did last year's US election cause hysteria for schizophrenics?

Post by Jesus » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:13 pm

As the title asks, did last year's US election exacerbate the symptoms of those with schizophrenia? I work in the medical field and I won't go into much detail boring you with what I do. What I will say is my story. I was going to a patient's home to check on a ventilator for a kid. When I arrived a lady ran into the house behind me running to the grandmother. This lady happened to be the kid's aunt who was kicked out for her recent schizophrenic episodes and it was obvious she was having a manic attack at that moment as well. The things she said were downright scary though and stuck with me. She was claiming that CNN's stories were all to mess with her head and how it was fake news basically to mess with her. She also claimed that the US is heading to world war 3 soon. She also claimed that Obama was listening in on her cell phone. She broke down after all that and said she doesn't know right from wrong anymore and was doing this devilish laugh. The grandmother was in tears but I stayed calm and called the cops to get her removed. No way was I gonna let her near the kid. But honestly, the things she was saying really did seem to align with the rhetoric that Trump was saying the past election and recently. This brings me to the thought "does what trump say and do exacerbate symptoms of manic episodes for schizophrenics"? It had me really curious if anyone else can share on this topic. Also keep your political opinions out please so stay on topic.

Edit: I guess I should mention she was showing us an article that trump had perfect genes she carries around with her as well. She had a history of bipolar disorder and it's within the last year I guess that she's basically become **** crazy.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:27 pm

[QUOTE="Jesus, post: 1625496, member: 16999"]Just sick of the manipulative ******** things people try to pass off as a valid argument.[/QUOTE]

Jesus

Post by Jesus » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:32 pm

IRHP really? Please don't start that. What I'm talking about actually happened today and the quote you pulled was from a previous topic in politics. That has nothing to do with this topic and I feel that you're being spiteful at this point. The lady actually had a history of mental illness which I wanted to discuss with people here for advice or opinions on THE MENTAL ILLNESS issue. Your post is also irrelevant so please just don't start an argument for arguments sake.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:44 pm

I feel like you're being hypocritical. The question "does what trump say and do exacerbate symptoms of manic episodes for schizophrenics" comes off as both manipulative and ridiculous to me and I illustrated this with your own words.

Sorry but nobody is going to entertain the idea that Trump is mental health concern. Even if you don't like him or his policies it's beyond reason to jump to the question you pose.

If you find it spiteful that I call this out as ridiculous then I'm sorry but it is.

Jesus

Post by Jesus » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:48 pm

Trump himself isn't a mental health concern. It's the rhetoric and fear that I wanted to talk about possibly doing harm to people's mental health. How is it manipulative or hypocritical? I'm not trying to sway opinion or talking about how one looks physically as a definitive for their mental health either. I don't agree with his policies, that you have right. But I don't want to talk about what people feel about him as a person in this topic either. You missed the point entirely man. And I'm not calling you spiteful for claiming what I say may be ridiculous. I am calling you spiteful for taking a quote that I said from a previous topic into this one and try to pass that off as constructive conversation wanting to get me riled up.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:57 pm

You're arguing semantics. Saying Trump himself is not a mental health concern but his "rhetotic" is doesn't make a difference to the point you're trying to make. I didn't see you asking this about Obama. I didn't even see anyone suggest this about Bush. I know it's the "in thing" to find interesting, innovative ways to attack Trump but this is one of the most far fetched attempts I've seen.

I have an open mind but there's no evidence for what you're suggesting. My grandmother has schizophrenia and the suffers don't think rationally. There's nothing special about Trump or what he says or does that would single him out as a president who would be doing harm to people's mental health.

Jesus

Post by Jesus » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:00 pm

^Well I'm not generalizing it. Not everyone would go through the same bouts of paranoia. That varies for sure.

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:08 pm

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:09 pm

^^ That was what you seemed to be saying, that somehow Trump could have a universally negative impact on the mental health of schizophrenics. If that's not the case then I apologize for misunderstanding.

Jesus

Post by Jesus » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:19 pm

No. But schizophrenics have high worries about all the time and can't make sense of most of it, if any when they are off their meds. Hearing stuff that they'd find fearful would cause them to hang on it and it can be detrimental.

Random User

Post by Random User » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:55 pm

I think prolonged exposure to any political rhetoric is a detriment to anyone's mental state. It's all designed to keep us afraid of everything. I'm sure that would always exacerbate the symptoms of the already-paranoid.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:41 pm

This election was definitely different. Obama & Romney were at least polite towards one another. McCain & Obama actually respected each other (even if many of their constituents didn't). Bush & Kerry were polite. Bush & Gore, IIRC, mostly talked about issues rather than each other (& honesty, Gore was such a robot back then that I doubt he was physically capable of being mean). But 2016 was vicious--Clinton didn't take Trump seriously at all, & Trump spoke about Clinton as if she wasn't even human. That trickled down to their voters & the various extremists in media, leading to a lot of conflicting (& often false/exaggerated, on each side) voices shouting unavoidably throughout the country.

For somebody with a condition involving hearing conflicting voices anyway (for example, schizophrenia), I could see that being legitimately troublesome.

I could also see this thread belonging in PPR, since it is unquestionably about politics. Shipping it over there now.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Random User

Post by Random User » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:25 pm

Since we're talking on a purely anecdotal level, I will say in high school one of the students was shot and killed by his father (who then proceeded to kill the rest of his family and himself) after he was convinced that Obama was the Anti-Christ or some such thing. Without statistics, though, it's hard to make any definite conclusions. I would say there's an argument to be made that this election has brought about more unrest than past elections, at the least

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:36 am

^^ Clinton was relatively bad toward Obama during the previous election.

Jesus

Post by Jesus » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:21 am

Not like what was said in this election though. Terms thrown around commonly this election included a lot of name calling and the usage of ISIS to put fear into the election. I don't recall war being used as a tool to convince people in the past decade or so anyway. A lot of votes this election were driven by fear of the other candidate rather than support for what either candidate would do. It's definitely been a very toxic election, if not the most toxic. 2012 showed the candidates at least shaking hands and remaining friends after. And in 2008 McCain and Obama were always on friendly terms (even coming to a mutual agreement that having Palin brought into the political spectrum was a mistake).

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:28 am

[QUOTE="Jesus, post: 1625610, member: 16999"]Not like what was said in this election though. Terms thrown around commonly this election included a lot of name calling and the usage of ISIS to put fear into the election. I don't recall war being used as a tool to convince people in the past decade or so anyway. A lot of votes this election were driven by fear of the other candidate rather than support for what either candidate would do. It's definitely been a very toxic election, if not the most toxic. 2012 showed the candidates at least shaking hands and remaining friends after. And in 2008 McCain and Obama were always on friendly terms (even coming to a mutual agreement that having Palin brought into the political spectrum was a mistake).[/QUOTE]

Ahem.

The bar for being the most toxic or most divided period in US history is very high. The current climate isn't a bright spot, but we're a long way from open warfare.

Jesus

Post by Jesus » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:22 am

Yeah nobody said anything about open warfare happening within the US people anytime soon. There's been people threatening it as always after any election, but the chances of it occurring would be very low. Exaggerations tend to cause a lot of hysteria during and after elections as well. Documents of suicide because a certain candidate they preferred lost occurs frequently as well.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:42 am

You're missing my point:
Exaggerations tend to cause a lot of hysteria during and after elections as well.
A lot of votes this election were driven by fear of the other candidate rather than support for what either candidate would do. It's definitely been a very toxic election, if not the most toxic.
Exaggerating the extent of the hysteria won't help anything. This election was bad, but no one's burned any cities over it.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:23 am

The voices in my head say yes.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Bomby

Post by Bomby » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:17 am

Well, I do know the election and its aftermath set my bipolar disorder on a wild ride. Hooray for mixed episodes!

Return to “Politics, Philosophy, and Religion”