Shooting at Madden ‘19 tournament in Jacksonville, FL

Moderator: Deku Tree

Marilink
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Shooting at Madden ‘19 tournament in Jacksonville, FL

Post by Marilink » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:21 pm

I’m just so done with this. Something needs to change.

Sonic 5

Re: Shooting at Madden ‘19 tournament in Jacksonville, FL

Post by Sonic 5 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:13 pm

I heard that you could hear the gunshots on the livestream.

America has a serious gun problem.

Marilink
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Post by Marilink » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:52 pm

Not only could you hear the gunshots and screams, but in the player cam in the corner you can see the red dot sight honing in on Player 1’s chest.

Thankfully the camera cuts away before the shots go off. But it’s still absolutely bone-chilling to watch. I would advise against it. I shouldn’t have.

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:56 pm

christ thats horrifying. nobody deserves to have something like this happen in a place thats supposed to be about bonding and having fun.
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:09 am

It's really eerie watching the streams of the guy who ended up shooting people. Just the dead look on his face. And yes, you can find YouTube videos of the stream right as the shooting started. Awful. Absolutely awful. The guy who had the laser sight on him is dead. To think his final moments are recorded right there on the stream.

Edit: Wow. I just got notified on my local patch that a kid and his father from my town all the way here in New Jersey were some of the wounded. He went to the tourney with his father and his father jumped on top of him to get him out of the way. Damn, man.

steeze

Post by steeze » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:09 am

I think shooters who kill themselves are the ultimate cowards. Not afraid to commit the crime, but too afraid to look the people who live through it in the eyes. If you want to die so badly just jump off a cliff don't take innocent people with you.

I get that the kid had a mental illness but cmon. The kid was a professional gamer. When are we going to acknowledge that these kids may be sick but they know exactly what they're doing? Make laws that keep the guns out of people with mental illnesses!

Such a hypocrite too. He says he hates humanity but chooses to kill the people who are the most like him. People who spend their lives enjoying video games. Would have loved to see this guy sent to Florida State where he could get joysticks rammed up his :censored: for the rest of his life.

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:17 pm

I heard about the video, but didn't want to look it up.

The mentally ill can't legally obtain guns, but they have to be diagnosed as such first.
Now I know there's a reason you shouldn't blame others when you do something wrong, and that reason is: you might get caught and have to apologize to a bunch of dumb peasants.

Deku Tree

Post by Deku Tree » Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:40 am

Shane wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:17 pm
I heard about the video, but didn't want to look it up.

The mentally ill can't legally obtain guns, but they have to be diagnosed as such first.
In Japan you have to be evaluated for mental illness before you can get a gun, if I'm not mistaken.

Random User

Post by Random User » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:33 am

Shooters in general are just trash, and should be only ever be remembered in the context of ridicule.

Wish everyone was okay, they didn't deserve this.

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:08 pm

I would rather they not be remembered at all. Good reporters will refuse to say their names or show their pictures. Most will make them famous.
Now I know there's a reason you shouldn't blame others when you do something wrong, and that reason is: you might get caught and have to apologize to a bunch of dumb peasants.

steeze

Post by steeze » Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:42 am

Just being diagnosed with a mental illness doesn't preclude you from owning a gun at all...If you were committed to an institution against your will by the police, it's certainly possible then you might be ineligible.

The mentally ill can most definitely obtain guns. Not to mention how many people with personality disorders and just the in general psychopaths that will never seek out treatment because they don't believe they need it. Those people fly under the radar.

I guess the real question is, who is the person that should make the determination if someone is fit or unfit to own a firearm? If a ban isn't on the table, I really don't see any other solutions for this issue of mass shootings.

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:54 pm

Even if you are diagnosed, it's still a reasonable question. A boy who gets bored in school now gets drugged as an easy fix. Do they qualify? Conversely, most people with serious mental illnesses skate under the radar until something goes amiss. Rarely this extreme. Someone should probably notice something. Most times people do, but they don't think it's to this level. You hear other kids say they thought the perpetrator was a weirdo, which is why they ignored and/or made fun of him, but kids are mean like that to plenty of people who don't seek revenge in such a way.

In this case, that's what it would have taken. A ban. 24 years old, handgun, from a state with strict gun control. The standard proposed restrictions wouldn't have mattered. Granted, I heard about this from SidAlpha, who the day before did a story about how a CSGO guy killed three people by driving his car the wrong way down a highway. Before it used to be people would mockingly say "What are they going to ban cars next?" Now it's not even mocking because it's happening in places like London.

steeze

Post by steeze » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:13 am

I've always thought the Australians made a pretty good example of success on a nationwide level for preventing gun violence. I don't know if I necessarily believe it would work here though. I live in an area where using a car every day is necessary. Cities like London might suffer in the wake of a car ban. People would adapt but whatever mayor is proposing that can't be getting that much support, can he? I guess people are jumpy from cars being driven through crowds.

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:10 pm

We can learn some things from other places, but it's tough to imitate. The US is about 10 times as big as the average country, both in terms of land and population. We often hear things like we should do things how they do it in Scandinavia, but it's a lot easier when your country is the size of Colorado. Of course, it's a lot easier to get your hands on one in the US, legally or illegally. With nearly 1 gun for every person in the country, and most of those gun owners thinking they have a Constitutional right to own them, they are much more part of the culture. Many people consider guns their defense against having their guns confiscated, if the government ever seriously tried to outlaw 300 million guns.

Return to “Current Events”