VGF Settles Catan

Where forum games are played.

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

Valigarmander
Supermod

VGF Settles Catan

Post by Valigarmander » Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 am

IT'S TIME FOR ANOTHER BOARD GAME, YO.

Anyone can play, just sign up in this thread. First come, first served. Please read the rules beforehand. They're adapted from the Settlers of Catan base game rules and the 5/6 player extension rules.

Without further ado,

THE RULES

GAME OVERVIEW

This is the outline of the gameplay. If you're already familiar with Catan, you can skip this part. Otherwise, read on:

[spoiler]1. The island of Catan lies before you. The isle consists of 30 terrain hexes (or 19 in a 3/4 player game) surrounded by ocean. Your goal is to settle on Catan, and expand your territory until it becomes the largest and most glorious in Catan. The island might look something like this:

2. There are six terrain types. Each terrain type produces a different type of resource, except for the desert, which produces zilch. Hills produce Brick, Forest produces Lumber, Mountains produce Ore, Fields produce Grain, and Pasture produces Wool.

3. You begin the game with 2 settlements and 2 roads. Each settlement is worth 1 victory point. (And thus you start the game with 2 victory points! Huzzah!) The first player to acquire 10 victory points on his/her turn wins the game.

4. To gain more victory points, you must build new roads and settlements and upgrade your settlements to cities. Each city is worth 2 victory points. To build or upgrade, you need to acquire resources.

5. Each turn, 2 dice are rolled to determine which terrain hexes produce resources. Each terrain hex is marked with a number. If, for example, a 10 is rolled, all terrain hexes marked "10" produce resources. In the map above, those terrain hexes are a mountains hex (ore) and a hills hex (brick).

6. You only collect resources if you own a settlement or city bordering these terrain hexes. In the map above, the red settlement A borders the "10" mountains and orange settlement B borders the "10" hills. If a 10 is rolled, the red player receives 1 ore and the orange player receives 1 brick.

7. Since settlements and cities usually border on 2-3 terrain types, they can harvest up to 3 different resources based on the dice roll. Here, the white settlement C borders on forest, mountains, and pasture. A settlement at D would only harvest the production from 2 terrain hexes (hills and mountains). Finally, a settlement at E would only harvest the production from 1 terrain hex (pasture). However, E is also at a wool harbor.

8. Since it's impossible for you to have settlements adjacent to all terrain hexes and numbers, you may receive certain resources only at rare intervals—or never. This sucks, because building requires specific resource combinations. For this reason, you can trade with other players. Make them an offer. A successful trade might yield you a big build.

9. You can only build a new settlement on an unoccupied intersection if you have a road leading to that intersection and the nearest settlement is at least two intersections away.

10. Carefully consider where you build settlements. The numbers on each hex will be depicted in varying colors from blue to red. The closer to red the depicted number, the more likely that number will be rolled. 6 and 8 are red; they are likely to be rolled most frequently. The more frequently a number is rolled, the more often the hexes with those numbers produce resources. You should consider settling on hexes that have good potential for production. However, these same high-producing hexes are often the primary target for the robber.[/spoiler]

SETTING UP THE GAME

Before the game starts, you may choose a color to represent yourself on the game board. Just make sure it's not too similar to another player's choice.

When we have enough players (hopefully 6, but no more than that), I'll present the game board. Each player will then place two roads and two settlements on the game board. The distance rule applies when placing settlements: a settlement can only be built on a vacant intersection and only if none of the adjacent 3 intesections contain a settlement or city. Each settlement must have one road adjacent to it. The quickest posters get first choice.

After placing your initial settlements, choose one to receive resources from. You will receive one resource for each terrain hex around the settlement of your choice.

TIME LIMITS

Since this is a forum game and we'll want to keep things moving at a reasonable pace, I'll be enforcing a time limit as I have in all my previous games. When you are called on, you have 24 hours to post your action before I will skip over you. If you feel you can no longer participate in the game regularly, I can try to find a replacement for you.

TURN OVERVIEW

Player order will be randomly decided at the beginning of the game. On your turn, you can do the following in the order listed:
  • You must roll for resource production. (This is done by the host i.e. me, and the result applies to all players.)
  • You may trade resources with other players and/or engage in maritime trade.
  • You may build roads, settlements or cities and/or buy development cards. You may also play one development card at any time during your turn.
Trade, building and buying/using development cards can all be done in the same post. After you're done, your turn ends and the special build phase begins (only in 5/6 player games). After that phase is over, the next player's turn begins.

Resource Production

The turn begins with two dice being rolled. The sum of the dice determines which terrain hexes produce resources. Each player who has a settlement on an intersection that borders a terrain hex marked with the number rolled receives 1 resource of the hex's type. If you have 2 or 3 settlements bordering that hex, you receive 1 resource for each settlement. You receive 2 resources for each city you own that borders that hex.

Trade

Afterwards, you may trade freely (using either or both types of trades below) to gain needed resource cards.

Domestic Trade: On your turn, you can trade resources with any of the other players. You can announce which resources you need and what you are willing to trade for them. The other players can also make their own proposals and counteroffers. Players may only trade with the player whose turn it is. The other players may not trade among themselves.

Maritime Trade: You can also trade without the other loser players. During your turn, you can always trade at a ratio of 4:1; giving up 4 units of one resource in your possession for 1 of another resource of your choice. If you have a settlement on a harbor, you can trade with the bank more favorably: at either a 3:1 ration or, in certain harbors, at 2:1 (trading the resource type shown).

Build

Through building, you can increase your victory points, expand your road network, improve your resource production, and/or buy useful development cards. To build, you must pay specific combinations of resources. You may then place the appropriate number of roads, settlements, and/or cities on the game board. Development cards are kept secret via PM.

Each player is limited at any given time to 9 settlements/cities, and 15 roads.

Road (requires Brick & Lumber): A new road must always connect to 1 of your existing roads, settlements, or cities. Only 1 road can be built on any given path. The first player to build a continuous road (not counting forks) of at least 5 road segments receives the award "Longest Road." If another player succeeds in building a longer road than the one created by the current possessor of "Longest Road," s/he immediately takes the award (and the 2 victory points that come with it).

Settlement (requires Brick, Lumber, Wool & Grain): Take special note of the distance rule: you may only build a settlement at an intersection if all 3 of the adjacent intersections are vacant of any settlements or cities, including your own. Each of your settlements must connect to at least 1 of your own roads. Regardless of whose turn it is, whenever a terrain hex produces resources, you receive 1 resource for each settlement you have adjacent to that terrain hex. Each settlement is worth 1 victory point.

City (requires 3 Ore & 2 Grain): You may only establish a city by upgrading one of your settlements. Cities produce twice as many resources as settlements. You acquire 2 resource cards for an adjacent terrain hex that produces resources. Each city is worth 2 victory points.

Buying a Development Card (requires Ore, Wool & Grain): When you buy a development card, you randomly receive either a knight card (56%), a progress card (24%), or a victory point card (20%). Development cards are kept secret from the other players until used.

Special Cases

Rolling a 7 and Activating the Robber:
If a 7 is rolled during your turn, nobody receives any resources. Instead, every player who has more than 7 resources total must select half (rounded down) of their resources to be returned to the bank. You must then move the robber.
  • You must move the robber immediately to any other hex on the board.
  • You then choose an opponent who has a settlement or city adjacent to the target hex. You steal one resource at random from that opponent.
If the production number for the hex containing the robber is rolled, the owners of adjacent settlements and cities do not receive resources. The robber prevents it.

Playing Development Cards: At any time during your turn, you may play 1 development card you possess. That card, however, may not be a card you bought during the same turn (except for a victory point card, as described below).
  • Knight Cards: If you play a knight card, you must immediately move the robber. (You move the robber to any other hex on the board, and steal one random resource from an opponent of your choice who has a settlement or city adjacent to the target hex.) The number of knights you've played will be kept track of. The first player to have played 3 knights receives the award "Largest Army," which is worth 2 victory points. If another player has more knight cards in front of him or her than the current possessor of "Largest Army," s/he immediately takes the award and its 2 victory points.
  • Progress Cards: There are three different progress cards, each with its own effect. If you play the Road Building card, you immediately place 2 free roads on the board (according to normal building rules). If you play the Year of Plenty card, you immediately receive any 2 resources of your choice. If you play the Monopoly card, you must name 1 type of resource; all the other players must give you all of their resources of this type that they currently own. Progress cards are removed from play once used.
  • Victory Point Cards: Just sit on these cards until you're sure you have 10 victory points, then you can reveal them to the horror of the other players.
Special Build Phase

This phase only occurs if there are 5 or 6 players. All players may participate in this phase, which will last 24 hours from when I announce it or until every player has declared their desire or lack of to build anything. During this phase, you are allowed to build anything you can create with your resource cards. You may also purchase development cards.

During the special build phase, you are not allowed to play development cards, nor trade with other players, nor use maritime trade. You may only use the resources you already own.

ENDING THE GAME

If you have 10 or more victory points during your turn, the game ends and you are the winner. If you reach 10 points when it is not your turn, the game continues until any player (including you) has 10 points during his or her turn.

TACTICS

Here's a few tips that might help you during the game:

[spoiler]
  • Brick and lumber are the most important resources at the beginning of the game. You need both to build roads and settlements. You should try to place at least 1 of your first settlements on a good forest or hills hex.
  • Do not underestimate the value of harbors. For instance, a player with settlements or cities on productive fields should try to build a settlement on the grain harbor.
  • Leave enough room to expand when placing your first 2 settlements. Look at your opponents' sites and roads before making a placement. Beware of getting surrounded. If you plan to build toward a harbor, the middle of the island may be a tricky place for starting a settlement, for it can easily be cut off from the coast.
  • The more you trade, the better your chances of victory. Even if it is not your turn, you should consider offering trades to the current player.
  • Since you can't play development cards or trade during the special build phase, it can be advantageous to trade with the current player during his/her turn. This could give you the resources you need to build during the special build phase.
  • The special build phase is an opportunity for all the players to build roads, settlements, and cities, and/or to buy development cards. This phase will allow each player to influence the game, even though it is not his/her turn. Since players are allowed to build every turn, they can interfere with the plans of others and attempt to evade the robber.
[/spoiler]

That's that. Now who wants to play?

LOOT
Banned

Post by LOOT » Thu May 28, 2015 1:12 am

oh my goodness I am horrible at this and will play

Erniewan

Post by Erniewan » Thu May 28, 2015 10:25 am

I'll join, I've been wanting to try out this game.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Thu May 28, 2015 10:43 am

Why not. I'll play.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Thu May 28, 2015 2:56 pm

We've got three now, which is the bare minimum number of players needed. Can we get three more people?

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Thu May 28, 2015 4:13 pm

panfan is in
and that's the waaaaaaaaaay the news goes

Random User

Post by Random User » Thu May 28, 2015 4:34 pm

I'll give it a shot.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Thu May 28, 2015 6:29 pm

Room for one more. :awesome:

Deku Tree

Post by Deku Tree » Thu May 28, 2015 9:51 pm

In.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Thu May 28, 2015 10:39 pm

That makes six. Let's get started.

Here's the game board. Hopefully it's straightforward enough; if anyone has any questions, ask away.

The board's 80 different intersections are organized in columns (represented by a letter) and rows (represented by a number). If you need to refer to a certain intersection, just name it by its coordinates ("I want to build a settlement at G4"). When referring to a specific path, you'll need the coordinates for the intersections it connects ("Build a road between G4 and H4"). And if you need to refer to a particular hex, as long as you're specific enough anything will do ("hex I7-I8" or "the pasture hex in the bottom-right corner" are two different ways to identify the same hex).

To begin with, each player must place two roads and two settlements on the game board. Remember the distance rule: a settlement can only be built on a vacant intersection and only if none of the adjacent 3 intersections contain another settlement or city. Each settlement must have one road adjacent to it. The quickest posters get first choice.

After placing your initial settlements, choose one to receive resources from. You will receive one resource for each terrain hex around the settlement of your choice. Once everyone has placed their starting settlements, the game will begin. So LET'S DO IT.

[USER=21459]@Loot[/USER] [USER=37587]@Erniewan[/USER] [USER=34539]@I am nobody[/USER] [USER=29448]@Wu-Tang Panfan[/USER] [USER=35827]@Revenant User[/USER] [USER=18320]@Deku Tree[/USER]

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Thu May 28, 2015 11:00 pm

settlement on G4, road between G4 and G5 (i'll take the resources from here)

settlement on C5, road between C5 and D5
and that's the waaaaaaaaaay the news goes

Random User

Post by Random User » Fri May 29, 2015 2:24 am

Settlement on I2, road between I2 and J2. This settlement will be where I take resources from.

Settlement on G1, road between G1 and H1.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Fri May 29, 2015 5:57 am

Settlement on F7, road to G7 (resources)
Settlement on D6, road to C6

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Fri May 29, 2015 3:13 pm

Waiting on [USER=21459]@Loot[/USER], [USER=37587]@Erniewan[/USER] and [USER=18320]@Deku Tree[/USER] now.

Erniewan

Post by Erniewan » Fri May 29, 2015 4:00 pm

Which tiles are which resource? I'm having trouble matching those Mario backgrounds with respective resources (mostly brick, grain, and pasture)...

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Fri May 29, 2015 4:13 pm

Hills (brick): green grass, green hills
Forest (lumber): green grass, trees
Mountain (ore): brown earth, brown rocks
Fields (grain): gold grass
Pasture (wool): green grass

Erniewan

Post by Erniewan » Fri May 29, 2015 4:24 pm

Ok, dunno if I'm making poor choices but...
Settlement on J4, road to J3 (resources)
Settlement on I6, road to J6

LOOT
Banned

Post by LOOT » Fri May 29, 2015 8:28 pm

Settlement E7. Resources. Road to D7.

Settlement H7. Road to I7

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat May 30, 2015 4:00 am

^ You can't put a settlement at E7 because Ian already has one on F7. :(

Here's Catan so far.

Deku Tree

Post by Deku Tree » Sat May 30, 2015 8:16 am

Settlements on H3 and K6. Road to L6. Road to G3. Resources from H3.

Return to “Social Games and Role Playing”