If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

Adventure, Glory, Pain. Two of these are guaranteed. Dungeon World!

Where forum games are played.

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

Post Reply
User avatar
LOOT
Posts: 22939
Joined: Mon May 28, 2001 1:00 am
Location: full time jail

Post by LOOT » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:51 am

The cook proceeds to turn towards you. You first see a surprisingly human face, fully intact in such an undead place, and then... well, good thing you didn't flirt, I guess! While her left face is perfectly intact, the right side of her face... kinda... NOTHING BUT SKELETON. It's really weird and creepy and kinda metal as hell.

"Why, yes, it's a classic! I've got the broth all ready now, all it needs is the main ingredient." She then turns to the zombies at the wall and barks out "BRING IT IN!" The three quickly shamble out of the dining hall into the next room. Within a minute, some strange sounds occur. Pounding, smashing, the sound of limbs flying. It'd be really dark and depressing but since they were zombies the whole "flying of limbs" part is a given. However, then comes the sound of footsteps rushing towards the dining hall. With little effort, the doors are slammed off the hinges! From the halls emerge an angry, hulking troll! But from the looks of it, it looks reanimated. Perhaps it never truly died, but it's very odd. To our Priest and Mage, this is especially strange because trolls, the mythical creatures they are, can regenerate from such grievous wounds. From simply looking at it, there's some stitching on the monster, and lining up with the stitches appear to be burn marks.

"Oh bother," the cook curses. "Be a star and make it tender, would you?"

Because of the roll: The cook will occasionally, maybe, help out in combat. She is considered a level 2 mage.

[USER=31048]@ScottyMcGee[/USER] Adder, you're first in line, and this troll is mad as hell because apparently it's to be the stew! (Oddly enough you have heard tales that troll stew is, actually, hearty and healthy!) It's coming in for a nice full swing on the entire party, how do you react?[DOUBLEPOST=1447318307,1447317992][/DOUBLEPOST][USER=30663]@Valigarmander[/USER] Nard, actually you should also act because you stepped forward. You PROBABLY don't have time to whip your ocarina or cello or violin or whatever you play nowadays out so probably dodge or be the brave fool you are and strike!

User avatar
Microphone_Kirby
Posts: 8129
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Somewhere I don't remember

Post by Microphone_Kirby » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:51 pm

[~68 Hours Later...]
[QUOTE="LOOT, post: 1572688, member: 21459"]
[USER=31048]@ScottyMcGee[/USER] Adder, you're first in line, and this troll is mad as hell because apparently it's to be the stew! (Oddly enough you have heard tales that troll stew is, actually, hearty and healthy!) It's coming in for a nice full swing on the entire party, how do you react?[DOUBLEPOST=1447318307,1447317992][/DOUBLEPOST][USER=30663]@Valigarmander[/USER] Nard, actually you should also act because you stepped forward. You PROBABLY don't have time to whip your ocarina or cello or violin or whatever you play nowadays out so probably dodge or be the brave fool you are and strike![/QUOTE]
... And what an ugly Troll it is. It looked at the party and its ugly face gave a bone-chilling roar. The party looked at the Troll and everyone became paralyzed in fear.
Galois, however, didn't stay fearful for long. He didn't feel like becoming a light snack for the troll and felt like he had to do something... if anything, he had to spur the party back into action and out of fear's cold grip. He takes a step away from the troll and readies his spellbook......
-----------------------------------------------------
[Yeah... all things considered, this is taking waaaaay too long. So here's what I plan to do, in-game: I plan to use my magic to control Adder's action. Nothing official yet; you can call this a threat if you like.
I won't wait longer than 24 Hours. If the great Fighter [USER=31048]@ScottyMcGee[/USER] doesn't do SOMETHING in-game in that time, I will demand that I attempt to act on my plan, succeed or fail.]

User avatar
Microphone_Kirby
Posts: 8129
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Somewhere I don't remember

Post by Microphone_Kirby » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:24 am

[... Don't say I didn't warn you.

Cast a spell: Mind Control Adder (basically me taking control of his move temporarily)
Roll: 1+3+1=5
...
Oh f***ing damn it all! I'm ready for those rocks anytime, Loot...]

User avatar
LOOT
Posts: 22939
Joined: Mon May 28, 2001 1:00 am
Location: full time jail

Post by LOOT » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:26 am

[USER=30663]@Valigarmander[/USER] and [USER=31048]@ScottyMcGee[/USER] are supposed to be making their moves right now but it's not really progressing if two people just drop out without a bloody word

User avatar
Valigarmander
Supermod
Posts: 48518
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:22 pm
Location: World -1
Contact:

Post by Valigarmander » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:39 pm

[Whoops. Wrote a post but apparently didn't post it. :propeller: ]

Nard eyed the beast with disgusted awe. What's all this about? he thought to himself. He'd only inquired about the stew. Perhaps this creature was going to serve them dinner? No, it looked more ready going to serve them for dinner. And what's worse, Nard was still hungry. Damn, I knew I should have flirted with her.

As the danger approached, the bard began to reach for his rapier. A wave of bravery swept through him: he knew this was his chance to make his mark, to defend his comrades, to fight off a mightier foe. It quickly dissipated however, and Nard instead decided to get the hell out of the way and support from a safe distance.

[Defy danger w/ dexterity. (2,3)+1=6. ****.]

User avatar
ScottyMcGee
Posts: 4955
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:28 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:11 pm

[asdashfisahgf just recovered from the worst week ever at work]

Adder takes aim at the stitching, hoping to reopen some of the troll's wounds.

"One troll stew coming up!"

Roll: 5 + 5 = 10 ; 10 + 1 (STR) = 11
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

User avatar
LOOT
Posts: 22939
Joined: Mon May 28, 2001 1:00 am
Location: full time jail

Post by LOOT » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:24 pm

oof tough luck there Vally-poo

[USER=31048]@ScottyMcGee[/USER] Since you rolled high enough will you do regular damage and avoid danger or put yourself in harm's way for extra damage?

I'll write up based on what you choose to do there

User avatar
ScottyMcGee
Posts: 4955
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:28 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:35 pm

[Regular damage. So roll d10 = 3. How mediocre.]
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

User avatar
LOOT
Posts: 22939
Joined: Mon May 28, 2001 1:00 am
Location: full time jail

Post by LOOT » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:11 pm

Well it's not like we're all rolling terribly as I'm about to demonstrate.

So Nard readies himself and stands before the fearsome creature, and prepares to strike!

... Unfortunately he completely misses and just slashes at the air, which even the air doesn't feel much harm.

Amazingly, the troll does not even notice Nard at all and lumbers past him, stepping on Nard's toe in the process (I rolled a 1, you're not even taking damage with your armor on).

Feeling indignant, Adder strikes at the beast with his sword! As the zombified troll begins to bring down a chair, Adder plunges his sword into the beast's side, causing it to reel back temporarily!

The troll recovers from the strike and prepares to swing the chair like a club on the entire party. If nobody can roll a 5+ on damage or otherwise have a move that can stop the swing, you must all make Defy Danger (DEX) rolls.

While this is happening, the party does notice two things. One, the cook appears to be readying a spell, it appears to be some sort of fireball.

Two, you hear some fighting going off in the hall that the zombie troll had come from initially. Sounds of a sword striking flesh, to be exact.

User avatar
Microphone_Kirby
Posts: 8129
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Somewhere I don't remember

Post by Microphone_Kirby » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:48 pm

[Can't physically attack (d4), so lets try Black Magic (d8 ) (Tags: Forceful, Range: Near) :D
1+1+1=3??? Oh, F***. O.O']

User avatar
StarryPeach
Posts: 10957
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2000 1:00 am
Location: Elibe

Post by StarryPeach » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:04 pm

{It's time to Lead the Flock! yes Memylir would preach at a time like this
Lead the Flock: 6 + 6 = 12; 12 + 1 (CHA) = 13
Since I rolled 13 (10+), I have 3 holds. I'd like to use the holds for the following three things:
  • Fall into a frenzy of joy
  • Bring people forward and deliver them to us
  • Unite and fight for us

Yes this applies to anyone within the immediate vicinity, so the troll for sure.
huehue}

User avatar
LOOT
Posts: 22939
Joined: Mon May 28, 2001 1:00 am
Location: full time jail

Post by LOOT » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:38 pm

oh dear god that is a thing

Well while I'm on break I'll type out real quick: Galois I'm... not sure what kind of spell type you were casting but since it was using the Forceful tag I'm going to make it just cause a sort of vibrations that shook the far door nice and open

AND WHEN IM HOME I'LL LET YOU KNOW THE NEW FIGHT

User avatar
Random User
Posts: 12717
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:54 am
Location: SECRET BASE INSIDE SNAKE MOUNTAIN
Contact:

Post by Random User » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:13 am

Ruby reacted to the swing by attempting to swiftly dodge-roll to the side, in hopes of avoiding the massive club.

Roll: 2 + 6 = 8; 8 + 2 (DEX) = 10

User avatar
ScottyMcGee
Posts: 4955
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:28 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Post by ScottyMcGee » Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:48 am

Adder sees the cook creating a spell. He rolls out of the troll's way to let him have it.

Roll: 3 + 2 = 5; 5 + 2 (DEX) = 7 (s***)
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

User avatar
LOOT
Posts: 22939
Joined: Mon May 28, 2001 1:00 am
Location: full time jail

Post by LOOT » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:18 am

Well I think at this point I can just settle it, Lard was kinda out of danger thanks to his fumble.

And I just looked up the Priest page HOLY CRAP THAT IS A THING. But fortunately it works in with what I had planned earlier so you sort of saved a bit of trouble.

SO. As Galois' fingers kinda fizzle and cause doors to open rather rudely, Memylir steps forward and begins preaching to the troll about how it is living a sinful life of being zombified but it can become good and redeemed in the eyes of heaven! She puts on the most saccharine sermon you could imagine, moving everyone to tears and the cook lowers her hands because wow this is powerful stuff. Her words echo out, breaching into the hallway. Suddenly the troll falls to its rump, the chair kinda shattering but Ruby and Adder manage to avoid it, Adder kinda tumbling about. The troll gives a bit of a dazed look, and then... well, we've all seen the Goonies. Looks like you all have a new friend!

It's very touching, so touching that THE TWO FIGHTING OUT PAST THE HALL HEARD IT TOO.

"A day's sermon, a month's salvation, the soul cries out in eternal joy, for in our darkest hour we have been granted the greatest of lights AS I DASH INTO THE SCENE AND RAISE MY ARM IN SERVICE TO OUR UNLIKELY SALVATION!" Suddenly running in is the oddest of humans you have seen yet, and Nard is in your party. With Bright Eyes, Flowing Hair, Flowing CLOTHES, and a decently muscled body surprisingly, out bursts this human woman, holding her strange, one-handed halberd forward. "MY NEW FRIENDS!" she shouts, extremely boisterous and oh my god is she the DM's insert I hope not. "I am Raina, the most Dashing of Heroes! The day has passed the moon of despair to bring forth another chance in purging these ruins of unspeakable evil! Gone is the shadow of my heart, for now all that is left is the hope and confidence we shall make our marks upon history, annihilating a part of evil from existence!"

The sound of heavy plate armor suddenly fills the hallway. Short of breath, the elven man holds onto the wall and pants heavily. "That's swell, and I'm glad you-Oh, wow, I didn't expect another follower here." he interjects himself looking at Memylir. "But while you ran off our own problem just became a bit more-" he gets cut off as he rolls out of the way of a club slamming to the ground.

(You can tell that this elf is a Paladin)

Both new combatants coming into the dining hall, they arm themselves as in pops... ANOTHER ZOMBIE TROLL. OH NO!!!

The creature is REALLY angry, maybe because now your party just made another troll betray the castle. He comes down and swings at Raina!

Raina deftly slams her halberd into the club. (Parry roll = 5 + 1 + 2 Mod = 8) The force of the blow causes her to take a decent bit of damage (-5 HP) but whoh! The troll is locked in combat!

[USER=26554]@Microphone_Kirby[/USER] Galois, YOU MAY CAST A SPELL because your fingertips are no longer all fuzzy feeling. Don't bother rolling to hit, and you'll get +1 to next time you cast a spell, just go ahead and say what kind of spell (Black Magic) you're casting and roll damage because the new troll is distracted.[DOUBLEPOST=1448090337,1448090144][/DOUBLEPOST]DP: No, I wasn't going to make you fight two trolls at once. I had the second troll up but was going to roll combat out while you took care of the first one.

Also: You can't help but notice Raina's muscles start twitching. Something might be happening.

User avatar
Microphone_Kirby
Posts: 8129
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2003 1:00 am
Location: Somewhere I don't remember

Post by Microphone_Kirby » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:33 pm

"Oh, great... more people. Does that guy really have no confidence in us?" Galois muttered under his breath. He laments the possibility that these two apparently holy warriors are not alone and whatever interesting relic that may have been here is no longer obtainable (because they might not be alone).

But the newcomer Troll is a more pressing concern. Can't look for relics if you not alive.
Galois goes to the (left?) side of the Troll and fires a burst of lightning bolts at it!

[Black Magic (a strangely straight line of "knit together" purple lightning bolts): Tags: Lightning Elemental, Debilitating(-1 Damage) Range: Hand(default)
Damage: d8: 4-1=3]

User avatar
LOOT
Posts: 22939
Joined: Mon May 28, 2001 1:00 am
Location: full time jail

Post by LOOT » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:14 pm

Hrm, I'm not seeing anything about debilitating monsters, that might have just been a thing added with the Mage book? Ah well, I can work it with.

Galois kinda... punches the troll with lightning fists, actually pretty wicked. The strength sends the beast back a bit, taking a decent bit of damage, but moreso is looking unwell. In fact it appears to have lost some power. Zombie Troll has -1 Damage and -1 Armor (takes additional damage now).

The big lug is not too happy with having lost some power. It takes an offhand swing at Galois (4-1) for 3 damage, sending him skidding back. You're thrown a bit off balance but you've had worse in training.

Losing Raina's focus, the troll then takes a leap and lands before Ruby, and is about to make a nice clobber attack! [USER=35827]@Gravy[/USER] Oh no Ruby! How will you react?!

(I have my game table data, I can update the map a bit tonight)

User avatar
LOOT
Posts: 22939
Joined: Mon May 28, 2001 1:00 am
Location: full time jail

Post by LOOT » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:54 pm

[USER=35827]@Gravy[/USER] RUBY JUST STANDS THERE PICKING HER NOSE

User avatar
Valigarmander
Supermod
Posts: 48518
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:22 pm
Location: World -1
Contact:

Post by Valigarmander » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:22 pm

Roll +Dex to see if you find gold.

User avatar
Random User
Posts: 12717
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:54 am
Location: SECRET BASE INSIDE SNAKE MOUNTAIN
Contact:

Post by Random User » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:34 pm

(Whoops, sorry about that.)

Ruby prepares to jump out of harm's way! She is getting the idea that getting behind the enemies may help their situation.

Roll: 5 + 4 = 9 + 2 = 11

Post Reply

Return to “Social Games and Role Playing”