Adventure, Glory, Pain. Two of these are guaranteed. Dungeon World!

Where forum games are played.

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

LOOT
Banned

Post by LOOT » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:26 pm

oh maybe I should have clarified if you were going to attack or do a Defy Danger to create an opening

CHOICE IS YOURS YOU HAVE AN ADVANTAGE

Random User

Post by Random User » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:29 pm

(Defy Danger)

LOOT
Banned

Post by LOOT » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:28 pm

All right well you perform a deft dodge of the troll's brutal attack, appearing right behind him. He quickly spots you and turns towards you, fully focused on you. However, this creates a perfect opening!

[USER=30663]@Valigarmander[/USER] Nard, you haven't really done anything useful! The baddie is looking a bit beat up, now may be the time for a full out attack? What will you do?

[USER=19313]@StarryPeach[/USER] Memylir, you also have a chance to attack! You can use your own ability... or perhaps send your befriended troll in to deal a nice strong smack? (2d6 + 2) (d10 damage because it is unarmed).[DOUBLEPOST=1448663338,1448663228][/DOUBLEPOST]dp: Ah let's wrap it up. Both of you just roll damage since Ruby did Defy Danger very well.

StarryPeach

Post by StarryPeach » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:29 pm

[QUOTE="LOOT, post: 1575102, member: 21459"]dp: Ah let's wrap it up. Both of you just roll damage since Ruby did Defy Danger very well.[/QUOTE]

[ooc: hao2rolldamage?]

LOOT
Banned

Post by LOOT » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:32 pm

Just roll a damage dice, no "to-hit" roll.

StarryPeach

Post by StarryPeach » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:34 pm

[ooc: d10? d6? yes I'm a total noob at this leave me alone [plain] :( [/plain]]

LOOT
Banned

Post by LOOT » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:40 pm

You sending the troll buddy out then it's a D10 since that's its damage dice. Otherwise whatever your PDF says about damage, I can't remember if you have actual damaging spells.

StarryPeach

Post by StarryPeach » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:26 pm

[ooc: I'll have to check when I have time this weekend then. Sorry for holding things up; I know you've been having trouble with people holding things up lately. >_>'

eta: So I found out that I can probably do d6 with Memylir's Divine Weapon. Well then.]

{Memylir sends the troll. (2d6+2 roll = 3 + 5 = 8; 8 + 2 = 10; d10 roll = 3} (going by what you said here; feel free to modify as necessary: (2d6 + 2) (d10 damage because it is unarmed).)

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:06 am

Seizing the sudden opportunity, Nard hopped forward, drawing his rapier (nearly as sharp as his wit) and thrusting it towards the troll.

[Using Dex as the modifier instead of Str, since the rapier is a "precise" weapon... (3,1)+1=5. God damn it.]

LOOT
Banned

Post by LOOT » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:14 am

That's nice Hard but you only needed to roll damage since its a free hit

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:24 am

Seizing the sudden opportunity, Nard hopped forward, drawing his rapier (nearly as sharp as his wit) and thrusting it towards the troll.

[I roll a 6. HA HA]

LOOT
Banned

Post by LOOT » Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:21 pm

-snort- d6

Well now we just wait for SP to do something and I'm thinking combat will be done.

StarryPeach

Post by StarryPeach » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:51 pm

[ooc: lmao. I did do something, actually. read the ninja edit I made in my previous post]

LOOT
Banned

Post by LOOT » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:52 am

oh bloody hell COME ON SP

right so here's how it finally all went down

Steeling herself, Ruby kept the attention of the big brute long enough for Nard to strike with a mighty slash from his sword. As nice bits of zombified flesh fell off, the troll started to turn towards the bard, when suddenly it was smacked all the way back to the hall by the converted troll. Crashing into the wall, the undead creature was unable to straighten itself out in time as the paladin came in. Raising his hammer (2d6 + 1 = 4,3, +1 = 8), he brings it down onto the troll's head...

SMIIIIIIITE! (D10 + D4 = 9 + 4 = 13!!!)

And squish goes the head! The elf gets a rather unfortunate dosage of bone flying at him but takes it rather like a champion (2 damage, 2 armor negates all damage).

And thus ends the wild beast. Yeah... I wanted to work this out a bit more but holy crap your Priest just turned the tide so easily I couldn't really think of anything to make a challenge that wasn't outright cheap. THANKS SP.

All right, first thing's first, let's throw out a couple treasures.

First off, the cook had something land in her eye socket (the skeleton part). Reaching in she pulls out a ring. Upon inspecting the ring, she shrugs and mentions towards Galois. "Oye, the fancy pants there!" She throws the ring towards you.

Galois, you have received the "Eternal Apprentice" ring. You can make out the inscription "The greatest scholars humble themselves when it comes to learning of the arcane arts". This is a 0 Weight Ring, and when equipped, You may choose an extra level 2-5 ability. As an additional bonus, during a long rest (like sleeping (you're a quarter elf so I have no idea if you actually just trance just work with the roleplay)), you may choose a different perk for the ring to give you.

Next, the Paladin. After cracking his neck a bit after dealing the final blow, he reaches into his pockets, digging for a particular item. He approaches Memylir. "My fellow devout, I was given a sign that a fledgling champion would arrive to save us from this monstrous place. I wish for you to augment your strength further with this."

Memylir, you receive "Ankh of Ishume". You can no longer fail spell casts when you cast in the domain of your deity. All spell rolls below 7 automatically rank up to 7 when dealing with Ishume's work.

And as a consolation prize, the cook then approaches Ruby. "You'll probably need something a bit more to get yourself in these strange corridors, ya sneaky rogue." She then hands her a strange piece of rope.

Ruby, you get the "Tricksy Rope"! Yes it's called that in the Dungeon World manual. A minor item, this is a rope that is enchanted to obey the simple commands of its owner. You can tell it to rise, lower, coil, even unwrap itself and come back to your possession. Very minor but perhaps in this large mansion you may find use for it...

---

Now for the most important part

LEVEL UP.

Everyone is granted one level! You now get an ability for your class. Be sure to post in this topic what you're leveling up, including stat increases.

---

Finally, a cliffhanger while everyone posts what they get at level 2.

The Paladin then stands in front of the group as Raina kinda massages her arms. You see a bit of hair, you can probably assume now her secret that will probably come into play next encounter.

"My name is Bohan," the elf introduces himself. "I came here with Raina after learning of the forsaken monsters that plague this fort. While the mindless creatures are surely to be laid to rest once more, I can't help but feel that they are being manipulated by a greater force." He turns towards the cook. "Madam, you are clearly not undead, can you tell me what is going on?"

In a moment of clarity, the cook shakes her head briefly and then looks as if she had a great vision. "This place seems to have become a perversion of its former self. Servants roam the halls, much like over a hundred years ago. I do not know how I came to suddenly be back in this position, but they kept bringing me orders. I felt that if I just fulfilled their requests, I would start getting answers about everything. I only see the common undead, they bring forth ingredients. It started with common game like turkey, deer. It started spiraling downward, a few unlucky adventurers were slain and I had to cook their meat, but I complied. I started to lose myself in the growing orders. The trolls..." she casts a gaze at the troll that Memylir had converted. "They're the most desirable. By slaying them and then turning them into zombies, their flesh can be regrown, capable of feeding even higher ranking zombies very easily. And the orders are starting to grow. I fear whatever is at work, is building an army."

Raina nods as she applies healing items to herself. "Quite the situation. A human who appears dead yet is clearly not undead. A fort that houses its former staff in a fort that was once central in a long gone war. A strong sorcerer capable of not only raising the dead but controlling the weather."

She then says something that sends a severe chill down Nard's spine.

"I've heard this story a few times but I'm curious if the same happened here. Did any of you get hired by an old man to "clean out" this fort?"[DOUBLEPOST=1448779953,1448779559][/DOUBLEPOST](PSSSSSSSSSST

IF ANYONE WANTS TO JUMP IN THIS GAME I CAN WORK YOU IN I WOULD LOVE TO WORK WITH SIX PLAYERS

JUST ASK AND WE'LL GET YOU IN THE GAME LIKE A MARY SUE JOINING HOGWARTS)

StarryPeach

Post by StarryPeach » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:57 am

Level up!

I'm going to assume one stat up per level so I will add a point to Memylir's Intelligence stat, increasing it to 16.

Also she will learn the Greater Warding move.

[QUOTE="LOOT, post: 1575217, member: 21459"]And thus ends the wild beast. Yeah... I wanted to work this out a bit more but holy crap your Priest just turned the tide so easily I couldn't really think of anything to make a challenge that wasn't outright cheap. THANKS SP.[/QUOTE]

YOU'RE WELCOME. There are ways to play and own from a defensive position. [plain] :D [/plain] Priest ftw.

LOOT
Banned

Post by LOOT » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:16 am

BAH

also I thought the stats were more restrictive but
Choose one of your stats and increase it by 1 (this may change your modifier). Changing your Constitution increases your maximum and current HP. Ability scores can’t go higher than 18.
This part I find a little weird, especially in a game where level 10 is the max so you should be able to put a stat up to 20 for a +4. I guess it's the perspective of "how often do you want players to fail rolls they're proficient in", because while even a +4 gives you a chance to fail on Snake Eyes, players can always do an action to help another by giving them +1 forward and as far as I care the limit is how many other party members there are, so with three party members and +2 in a stat you will always somewhat succeed.

Random User

Post by Random User » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:51 am

I'm going to raise Ruby's CHA stat to 16, and have her learn Connections.

Microphone_Kirby

Post by Microphone_Kirby » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:39 pm

[plain] :D [/plain]
+1 Intelligence
Gain Battle Mage

[QUOTE="LOOT, post: 1575217, member: 21459"]
First off, the cook had something land in her eye socket (the skeleton part). Reaching in she pulls out a ring. Upon inspecting the ring, she shrugs and mentions towards Galois. "Oye, the fancy pants there!" She throws the ring towards you.

Galois, you have received the "Eternal Apprentice" ring. You can make out the inscription "The greatest scholars humble themselves when it comes to learning of the arcane arts". This is a 0 Weight Ring, and when equipped, You may choose an extra level 2-5 ability. As an additional bonus, during a long rest (like sleeping (you're a quarter elf so I have no idea if you actually just trance just work with the roleplay)), you may choose a different perk for the ring to give you.[/QUOTE]
"'The greatest scholars humble themselves when it comes to learning of the arcane arts', huh? Riiiiight...", Galois thought to himself, slowly putting the ring on. A sudden rush of insight enters his mind. Not use to such a thing, Galois swiftly takes off the ring. "Whoa" was the only thing escaping his lips, impressed with the quick insight he had. He put the ring back on, willing to take whatever the ring had to offer.
"This is a nice ring", he said.
[Galois gained Arcane Ward from the ring]

[QUOTE="LOOT, post: 1575217, member: 21459"]
Raina nods as she applies healing items to herself. "Quite the situation. A human who appears dead yet is clearly not undead. A fort that houses its former staff in a fort that was once central in a long gone war. A strong sorcerer capable of not only raising the dead but controlling the weather."

She then says something that sends a severe chill down Nard's spine.

"I've heard this story a few times but I'm curious if the same happened here. Did any of you get hired by an old man to "clean out" this fort?"[/QUOTE]
"Well... I only heard about the job from the Bard. I do know is that he got it from someone else". Galois aimed an inquisitive glare straight at Nard...

LOOT
Banned

Post by LOOT » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:54 pm

Excellent. I'll post what each ability is to help with reference.

Ruby - Connections
When you put out word to the criminal underbelly about something you want or need, roll+CHA. ✴On a 10+, someone has it, just for you. ✴On a 7–9, you’ll have to settle for something close or it comes with strings attached, your call.
Memylir: Greater Warding
When you use Divine Ward, select one additional option, even on a 6-.
A good synergy for this dungeon with your new artifact.

Galois: Battle Mage
Add the following tags to the Black Magic list: Close, Area (-2 damage), Messy (+1d4 damage), Piercing 2. In addition, selecting a Range tag for your Black Magic does not count as one of your two tag choices.
For reference, Area means a wide spell that hits any number of enemies in the area, Piercing 2 ignores up to 2 armor (which at this point means the heaviest armor without shields will take full damage). Close... uhh, this makes no sense. I guess Mages without this can't cast spells at something 8 feet in front of them? That's a dumb rule, Touch or Reach should clearly take care of that. Let's make it so if you misfire it's actually just miss and you do half damage instead. That's more 13th Age rules and that's also a fun game!

Arcane Ward
You have +2 Armor against magical attacks, and nearby allies have +1 Armor against magical attacks
So now we're waiting on [USER=31048]@ScottyMcGee[/USER] and [USER=30663]@Valigarmander[/USER] to complete their level up process and then we can move onto the final half of this dungeon.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:40 am

[Nard will boost his Charisma from 15 to 16 and learn Eldritch Tomes.]

Return to “Social Games and Role Playing”