500 Scary Scenes from ALL Video Games

For everything and anything that goes "bump" in the night or is unexplained.

Moderator: Valigarmander

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:05 am

19. The Climax (Nancy Drew: Warnings at Waverly Academy)

Now, due to the rather spoilerific nature of this one, as well as the fact there are no screenshots (Well, nobody here is into those games - also doy.) this moment has to be described using text.

[spoiler]Nancy finds the culprit and the puzzle of something hidden inside Waverly Academy... however... the culprit double crosses Nancy (What'd you expect?) and then leaves her... but not before making sure Nancy can't follow. Which is.. TO FREAKING SEND A PENDULUM DOWN just like in that one Edgar Allen Poe story.[/spoiler]

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:36 am

22. Galactic Federation Troopers (Metroid Prime 2)

Probably the creepiest parts of this game involve the fate of these poor bastards. When you first land on Aether, you find the subterranean Federation outpost seemingly devoid of life. You soon encounter the corpses of the marines strung up inside a Splinter hive, dangling from the webbing like twisted marionettes.

As usual for the series, scanning the bodies provides lots of gruesome details:
Scans indicate this trooper died of cardiac arrest. Chemical levels in body suggest a state of extreme fear at time of death.
Source of fatal wounds: Galactic Federation assault weapon. Trooper was, in all likelihood, killed by friendly fire. Whether it was an accident or not remains to be seen.
Cause of death difficult to determine. Digestive fluid present within armor: subject is being broken down into simpler matter for consumption by local predators.
Cause of death: excessive blunt trauma to numerous critical points. Bioscan results indicate that there were at least thirty individual attackers involved in this trooper's demise.
Scans detect extremely high levels of an unknown toxin in target's body. Numerous micropunctures in armor and body: trace elements of toxin around these areas.
Later on, you battle troopers that have been reanimated by the Ing. They're basically zombies, with decrepit and damaged bodies, unnatural movement, and a singular hatred for you, the player.

Finally you locate the wreckage of the Tyr, and through video log witness the final moments of the marines who had been there:

[MEDIA=youtube]oPZlsk2bjbE[/MEDIA]

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:57 am

Metroid isn't ever billed as a horror series, but, wellllll

[MEDIA=youtube]0i3xFp8OCn0[/MEDIA]
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:39 am

24. Moira Asylum (Thief [2014])

Should be played a darker brightness level than any of the reasonably sized screenshots I could find. It's an insane asylum. It has creepy things moving on their own, flashbacks, creepy people that run in and out of your vision, and spends absolutely forever teasing you before actually dropping any enemies. It's also the only good level in the entire game, unfortunately.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:26 pm

25. Andross (Star Fox 64)

Depending on the path you took in game, your battle with Andross will reach its climax with him either dissolving into a chattering robot skull, or a disembodied brain. Both are pretty creepy.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:07 pm

26. The third act. (Cluefinders 5th grade adventures)

Now, this again cant' be conveyed with screenshots due to
a) the lack of them, as well as the fact that a lot of it is conveyed in small hints throughout the game.
b) The game being... fairly obscure in this day and age.

The basis o the game is that the characters are investigating an island where ships have been known to disappear for years. When you're on the island, you find all sorts of... unsettling reports about the island apparently being alive, and you even see things happening to suggest this - such as people trapped on the island vanishing over the years, holes seeming to appear out of nowhere, weather beign controlled, as well as apparent sentient guardians of the island. IT's a bit of an... odd atmosphere.

[spoiler]The third act explains it all - and in a very creepy way. The entire island is an alien spaceship, and they are obviously gathering a lot of subjects... what for? Why... To eat your brains! The final activities are the arbitrary "Spell this word" and an ecological predator-prey simulation. The second one is a little more unnerving... because obviously they're trying to find out how MUCH of each species they need because the aliens want to cultivate animals and HUMANS for food! Can you say... holy crud, that's kinda freaky for a game made for kids who're maybe 11 years old tops?[/spoiler]

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:40 pm

27. Andross (Star Fox)

It's not a giant floating brain, but it is a giant disembodied face that vomits polygons and skirts the Uncanny Valley as well as 1993 console technology would allow.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:45 pm

28. Creepy Watson (Sherlock Holmes)

[MEDIA=youtube]13YlEPwOfmk[/MEDIA]

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:57 pm

29. Mario drowning (Super Mario 64)

[MEDIA=youtube]UXCzeszG-I0[/MEDIA]

Why, Nintendo? Why?

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:20 am

30. Sonic drowning

1-3:
[media=youtube]vdRBVdOAnf0[/media]
Adventure
Adventure 2
Colors
Generations
Sonic 4

And remember, "I'm-a Tails, number one!"

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:18 am

31. First-person sections (Jurassic Park)

The overworld portions of this SNES game are nothing frightening, but that atmosphere changes as soon as you enter a building and switch to the first person.

The music is quiet and ambient, broken up by the occasional sound of snarling dinosaurs lurking nearby. Velociraptors in particular will let out a deafening roar before pouncing on you. And if you happen to stumble into a dark room without night vision goggles, you'll be killed in an instant.

A lot of what makes these areas so creepy is the limitations of the console. The resolution of the first person view is poor, meaning a lot of things (including deadly dinosaurs) can be difficult to see until they're right in your face. Movement is also very awkward and slow, and the dinosaurs can all move a lot quicker than you can.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:10 pm

32. Darling (Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones

This scene is pretty tame compared to a lot of these lists - in part because it's a different kind of horror.

It's not what you see that's unnerving, it's what you don't see. You know from an early chapter that Orson's wife, Monica, had died awhile ago... yet here she is in front of Ephraim and Eirika, and Orson had been seen talking to her. But she's never shown...
...because she is literally a walking corpse who can only say "Darling".

Meaning that yes, Orson has been talking to a freaking dead lady.

The fact that you are not shown what's saying "Darling" over and over again. it lets you scare yourself and wonder... just what are the characters seeing that I'm not?

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:59 am

33. Beneath Clanker (Banjo-Kazooie)

When you first enter Clanker's Cavern, you'll find the eponymous monster trapped underwater, chained to the water bed. To free him, you have to dive down into a well beneath him and swim through a key several times to release his chain. The well is verrrry far down in the water, and not only do the swim controls make it difficult to complete your task, your air meter rapidly depletes while you're submerged. The only source of oxygen down there is the bubbles produced by Gloop the Fish, which can be rather awkward to swim into. And not only is a visit to this area required to proceed in the level, for you completionists there's also a Jinjo and some musical notes hidden down there.

Also, once you enter the well, the normally jazzy level theme grows quiet and eerie and full of creepy violin strings.

Erniewan

Post by Erniewan » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:31 pm

34. Lightning Lookout (DKC3)

This is the last riverside level. In it, lightning shoots down at the ground, as if it were purposely in the Kongs' path. Before it strikes, there is a warning flash above the spot where it will hit. If the Kongs are in the water and lighting strikes it, they can get fried. The Kongs can use the lightning to their advantage, however, and let it destroy their enemies if they're clever enough. As the level progresses, the lightning strikes faster, causing more trouble for the Kongs.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:45 pm

35. Angry Mask Salesman (The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask)

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:11 pm

36. Fight with GladOS (Portal)

It's not scary in the sense that a lot of the other entries are, but the tone GladOS uses at the beginning of the fight and her dialogue's descent from taunting to barely-functional gibberish is unnerving in its own way. There may have been some sort of song-based tone shift after this scene, but I'm sure no one really remembers that.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:37 pm

That Other Ghost Ship (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker)

Man. This dang thing. I played through WW totally blind my first time, and I loved it, but that ghost ship got me. Like, the creepy ghost-lights, and that music, and the way it would just vanish on you if you got too close. I don't know. A little spooky.
boo----------------xbox forum arm-wrestling champion

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:15 pm

38. Gerogero (Final Fantasy VIII)

Your battle with the President aboard the train shifts gears when he reveals himself to be a mere decoy.

Turns out he's really a hideously, asymmetrical mutant with exposed organs. Fun fact: in the Japanese version of the game, Gerogero's palette includes reds and yellows rather than blues and greens. This was probably changed for the international release to make it less **** up-looking.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:56 pm

39. Rasputin (Shadow Hearts: Covenant)

http://rpgfan.com/pics/shadowhearts2/ss-034.jpg [large picture.]

Now, there're plenty of scenes from Shadow Hearts that would fit on this list, but that game can arguably be disqualified because it was intended to be a horror game, due to, you know, being a pseudosequel to Koudelka.

Now, the reason Covenant can make the list? It's way WAY more light-hearted. After the first 3 hours, the game becomes much much lighter, nothing really you haven't seen too much. But then you meet this guy... And yes, you can tell this guy is VERY bad news. One of his establishing character moments is ordering one of his henchmen to kill Anastasia (btw, this is set in 1915, so you know how old she was? Yeah...) And he more than willingly attempts to harm children, and has ambitions that aren't just holding Anastasia's little brother hostage. Yikes.
Then when you find out more about this guy... the more unnerving he becomes.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:16 am

40. Fairy Tale Girls and Valerie (Pokemon X/Y)
Image Image

Those eyes are not of this world.

Return to “Creepy & Unexplained”