500 Scary Scenes from ALL Video Games

For everything and anything that goes "bump" in the night or is unexplained.

Moderator: Valigarmander

StarryPeach

Post by StarryPeach » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:06 pm

299. Louran (Terranigma)

Louran is a flourishing town (start at 2:10)... until you go rest at the inn. Then you see it's not what it seems. Nothing like a deserted town full of the undead, throwing their heads at you to attack you.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:34 am

300. Booby traps (Doom series)

Walking into certain sectors or crossing certain lines can trigger a variety of effects in Doom, such as altering the environment or causing walls to rise or fall. Typically this results in traps activating, like a hidden room full of monsters opening up, or monsters teleporting in from elsewhere. Often they're just a nuisance, but sometimes they can be pretty frightening, especially if you're not expecting them. A memorable example occurs early on in Doom: in E1M3 (Toxic Refinery), grabbing the blue keycard will cause the lights in the room to shut off and a wall to rise behind you, revealing a swarm of Imps.

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:53 am

301. Plastered Splicers (Bioshock)

Okay, so this area is full of plaster statues, kinda creepy I guess. And they bleed when I hit them. That's uh... very strange. Oh, ha ha, now the lights are going out. You trying to scare me, game? Bring it on.

Oooooookay, those statues were NOT standing like that before the lights went out. Uh... OH GOD THEY'RE ALIVE AND THEY'RE TRYING TO KILL ME AAGHGUAHHH WHY

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:16 am

Speaking of Bioshock...
302. Sander Cohen's Kinetoscope (Bioshock Infinite: Burial At Sea Episode 2)
[MEDIA=youtube]-WcJZSrzIFU[/MEDIA]

All three Bioshock games - but particularly the first one - could never really decide if they wanted to be horror games or not. The first game in particular weaves in and out of horror enough that you're never quite sure when or if it's going to go back to being scary. Knowing that always made using the Kinetoscopes in both BaS episodes a bit tense because of how easy it'd be for the game to set up a nasty jump scare either right as the video started or right as it ended.

...So naturally it waits until almost the end of the story and uses an inconspicuous Kinetoscope in the corner of a relatively safe area to do that. I was doing a full-stealth playthrough, but that stupid splicer dummy got shot right in the face. >_>

luizzeross

Post by luizzeross » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:32 pm

303. Hanging Multilated Corpse (Silent Hill 1)

At the beginning of the game, while searching for Cheryl, you face this corpse out of nowhere with that disturbing background noise.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:18 pm

304. Zombie (Uninvited)

I think the image speaks for itself.

luizzeross

Post by luizzeross » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:20 pm

[QUOTE="Valigarmander, post: 1560395, member: 30663"]304. Zombie (Uninvited)

I think the image speaks for itself.[/QUOTE]

And I thought that I was old... I've never heard about this game in my life. Did you play it?

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:23 pm

Partially. It was a 1986 point-and-click adventure for the Mac, and was also ported to DOS, Windows, and the NES, among other platforms.

luizzeross

Post by luizzeross » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:39 pm

Whoa! Now that reminded me of my very first game fear:

305. Dragons (Adventure for Atari 2600 [1979])

The first time I played this game I was only 4. The dragons would appear or not in some places. When I first saw this dragon, I dropped the joystick and ran to the bathroom, locking myself in there. I cried a lot while my mom laughed at me, telling me it was just a videogame.

StarryPeach

Post by StarryPeach » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:04 pm

306. Sylvain Castle and Bloody Mary (Terranigma)

Sylvain Castle (10:08 in this vid) is the home of Queen Mary, the queen of Spain Sylvain whose sons went on a voyage to the New World with Christopher Columbus... and perished. As a result, the queen went mad and turned her castle into the place it is now. Water turned to acid, and possessed suits of armor roam the halls. You also have to find four gems that need to be put into where the eyes would be of portraits in the main hall. At 13:40 of this vid, you meet four dolls who rotate around you, and you have to slash the real one... they look pretty creepy. Then you have to play Simon Says with one of the dolls. At 16:54, you meet the queen herself. If you're not leveled enough, she's the toughest boss in the game. However, if you have, she's rather easy.

The music's rather awesome, though.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:27 am

307. Marvin Branagh (Resident Evil 2)

When you enter the Raccoon City Police Department for the first time, there don't seem to be anyone alive. You encounter a single living officer, Marving Branagh, in a room near the entrance. Covered in blood from a bite wound, he relates to you how the police force was overwhelmed by the zombies, and gives you the keycard you need to progress before shooing you out of the room and locking the door behind you. You return to the room later in the game and encounter Marvin just as he's passing the threshold into undeath. It's up to you to put him out of his misery.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:39 am

308. Underworld Boss Roars (the Legend of Zelda, NES)

While the bosses in the Legend of Zelda can be more than imposing enough to provide the unprepared player a heightened pulse, the distant groans and roars which echoed through the halls closest to the boss chamber were perhaps more chilling. It was certainly possible for a hapless player to stumble into an unwinnable battle, too late to back out. The only hint for a player who had missed the dungeon's compass was in listening for the angry cries of the triforce shards' guardians.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:56 am

309. Narshe's fate (Final Fantasy VI)

Narshe is where your story begins, and for the first half of the game it's a bustling mining city. When you return to it in the World of Ruin however, it's a monster-filled ghost town. It's eerie seeing what was once a lively city now completely deserted, and no explanation is given as to the fate of Narshe's inhabitants, whether they fled or were killed. Even the Moogles in the mountain are all gone.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:20 am

310. World 1 Bowser (New Super Mario Bros.)

Dry Bowser reappears later in the game and has since become a recurring character in the series, but when you're playing for the first time and not expecting it it's kind of creepy to see Bowser drop into the lava and bob back up as a flesh-stripped skeleton.

Spritedude

Post by Spritedude » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:33 am

^It's Crocomire all over again.

311. The Hunter (Dead Space)

Dead Space sits somewhere in the middle of the spectrum of action-horror games. The more ability a game gives you to fight back against enemies, the more "action" it is. The more helpless it makes you, the more "horror" it is. Dead Space does give you weapons to kill stuff with, but Isaac isn't exactly an agile tuck-and-roll action hero you'd find in other games, so it's kinda inbetween.

The one time the game goes complete horror, however, is the section when you encounter The Hunter. Normally you kill Necromorphs by shooting off parts of their body until they die, but The Hunter just regenerates its flesh and keeps pursuing you no matter what. All you can really do is shoot at it, which forces it to slow down a bit as it heals, but you can't kill it, and it will keep following you into different rooms by crawling through the vent system.

And if it does catch you at low health, then uh...
[spoiler][MEDIA=youtube]pnCVDLWSXp8[/MEDIA][/spoiler]

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:21 am

312. The Librarians (Metro 2033)

Librarians are mutants that live exclusively in the dark and claustrophobic remains of the national archives in Moscow. Naturally, they're among the fastest, strongest, and most resilient enemies in the game, and they become aggressive if your back is ever turned.

Regular Librarians have some capacity to stalk the player, but the Black Librarian variant encountered later on will feign losing interest if stared down and then follow you through the entire level.

luizzeross

Post by luizzeross » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:59 am

^ gotta play this game!

LOOT
Banned

Post by LOOT » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:51 pm

[QUOTE="Valigarmander, post: 1561152, member: 30663"]310. World 1 Bowser (New Super Mario Bros.)

Dry Bowser reappears later in the game and has since become a recurring character in the series, but when you're playing for the first time and not expecting it it's kind of creepy to see Bowser drop into the lava and bob back up as a flesh-stripped skeleton.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="Valigarmander, post: 1500362, member: 30663"]220. Dry Bowser (New Super Mario Bros.)

You'd knocked Bowser into lava many times before NSMB, but this was the first time you saw him bob back to the surface with his flesh burnt entirely off.[/QUOTE]
ruh roh raggy!

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:53 am

Loot is hereby banned from posting in any of my threads.

LOOT
Banned

Post by LOOT » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:55 am

is that a punishment or a reward

Return to “Creepy & Unexplained”