500 Scary Scenes from ALL Video Games

For everything and anything that goes "bump" in the night or is unexplained.

Moderator: Validecember

StarryPeach

Post by StarryPeach » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:27 am

Methinks Val should keep a list of what he posts in this thread so there are no more hiccups like this ever again. [plain] :P [/plain]

[edit in response to your post below (because I don't want to clutter up your thread with off-topic posts): I meant you keep an offline document (like in Notepad) about what you had already posted.]

Validecember
Supermod

Post by Validecember » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:34 pm

^ I've been wanting to stick one in the OP, but VGF's character limit would prevent me from fitting 500 entries in a single post. I'll figure something out.

313. Gill Beasts (Blood)

These giant, walking mouths aren't particularly strong, and move at a snail's pace on dry land. Underwater however, they can swim twice as fast as you can and will easily overpower you. They like to travel in groups (schools?) and announce their presence with a deep roar.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:24 pm

The thread search tool is pretty useful to avoid repeats.

313. Reach out and Touch Someone (Resident Evil 2)
[MEDIA=youtube]zYtsUP0VdlQ[/MEDIA]

This is the sort of hallway that absolutely screams jump scare, but the game cleverly waits until the second time you go through it to actually spring the trap. The hands aren't particularly difficult to dodge even if you're not expecting them, but they did make me jump a bit.

LOOT
Banned

Post by LOOT » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:29 pm

the thread search tool is how I always catch Val to begin with!

Validecember
Supermod

Post by Validecember » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:50 am

Oh yeah, I forgot you could search within a single thread. And WHAT DID I JUST SAY LOOT.

314. Cursed Beehives (Banjo-Tooie)

They look almost identical to regular beehives (apart from their red eyes, which aren't always easy to discern), yet once you get close enough they'll begin to chase you, slowly at first but accelerating quickly. They can be a rather unpleasant surprise if you're low on health and looking for Honeycombs.

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:58 am

Heh.

315. Chased by Jano (Rayman 2)

You're introduced to these sliding sections early on and most people would struggle as far in as the Sanctuary of Water and Ice, but it's not far after that when you go to the Cave of Bad Dreams. The level itself isn't all that bad since most of the game is dark colors even if it's meant to be a little whimsical. But halfway through the stage the guardian of the cave, Jano, stops playing around and you are forced into a sliding section where you follow Rayman from inside Jano's mouth. Slow down even a little bit and he chomps down on Rayman causing an instant death. Yes, death is a slap on the wrist in this game, but that didn't make this part any less frightening.

Younger me stopped playing here. That's all the reason I need.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:50 pm

316. The Undercity (World of Warcraft)

When you walk in and find everything all abandoned and deserted - including the throne room where you can hear Arthas killing his dad if you turn the volume up enough. It just sits there... eerily. But once you walk down the elevators, the unease is turned down when you see something that sounds like it was designed by Sellick and Burton.

Validecember
Supermod

Post by Validecember » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:06 am

317. "YOU'RE DEAD" (Misao)

Ignore the LPer in the upper right corner of the picture, though his reaction is pretty appropriate.

Very early on in the game you will find a seemingly harmless sheet of paper on the ground. Pick it up and you'll find the words "YOU'RE DEAD" scrawled in what appears to be blood. The page is quickly lowered to reveal a ghostly woman who delivers what is likely the first of many game overs you'll experience in Misao.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:56 am

318. What Lurks in the Forest (The Yawhg)

[spoiler="Spoilers for a game that is entirely about surprise. Description also a bit gory"]
The Yawhg is a choose-your-own-adventure style game designed for local multiplayer. You've got six weeks to turn your nobodies into experts capable of rebuilding your town once it's destroyed by the unstoppable evil known as the Yawhg. Although there are triumphant endings in which you build the town back even better than it was before, there are a lot of nasty things that can happen in the process and ruin everything.

The Forest is one of the better places to spend your time, as both activities there increase two stats and provide money. Most of the random events are either purely beneficial or relatively easy to avoid. The exception to that rule is a relatively rare event in which a hand suddenly shoots out from a bush and tries to grab you. The two methods of escaping it have comparatively high requirements, and failure means being whisked off to the monster's cave. There, the demon rips out and consumes a chunk of your flesh only to touch the wound and cause it to instantaneously heal. The process repeats a few times, but you're able to escape at the end of the day with a large stat penalty.

...but that's not all. Certain major random events reappear in the epilogue and change how your character's story ends. In this case, regardless of the fate of the rebuilding effort, the hand eventually reappears to snatch your character from their bed and return them to the cave. There's no escape this time, and the story is only made darker by the fact that your friends probably all lived out their days happily.

[/spoiler]

LOOT
Banned

Post by LOOT » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:03 pm

319. Creatures designed by H.R. Giger (Dark Seed series)

So the story is lackluster in 1, gameplay is centered around the three days you have until the seed injected into Mike's head hatches, and it has some pretty bad puzzles. On the other hand the graphics aren't too bad and the downplayed colors helps establish the creepiness of the creatures from the Dark World.

And speaking of Dark Seed, at -1 is a certain end-game scene from Dark Seed 2.

[spoiler=This will explain EVERYTHING.]Image [/spoiler]

Validecember
Supermod

Post by Validecember » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:12 pm

320. Griswold (Diablo II)

The setting for the first game has since been utterly destroyed by the legions of Hell. In case there was any doubt as to the fate of Tristram's inhabitants, you will eventually encounter the friendly blacksmith Griswold reanimated as a ravenous zombie.

There's also Wirt's corpse in the corner of the map, but he was a dick anyway.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:38 pm

321. Peacock (Skullgirls)

http://www.fightersgeneration.com/np9/c ... by-oh8.jpg

PSSST - those aren't cartoon black bead eyes...

Validecember
Supermod

Post by Validecember » Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:04 am

322. Watch Out Below! (Yoshi's Island)

Only the second level in the game and you're bombarded with these evil bastards. They spend much of their time hopping around in the background like the ever-looming specter of death, and with little warning will leap into the foreground and crash through the earth. They can easily land on top of you and drag you down with them towards the depths of Hell.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:55 pm

[QUOTE="Valigarmander, post: 1561782, member: 30663"]There's also Wirt's corpse in the corner of the map, but he was a dick anyway.[/QUOTE]
At least his peg leg makes a sweet club.[DOUBLEPOST=1441936509,1441936381][/DOUBLEPOST][QUOTE="Valigarmander, post: 1561501, member: 30663"]^ I've been wanting to stick one in the OP, but VGF's character limit would prevent me from fitting 500 entries in a single post. I'll figure something out.[/QUOTE]
Good place to use an image.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:15 pm

323. Pionpi (Super Mario Land)

They don't die if you jump on them - and later on, they throw an entire column of them at you. If you know what a Jiangshi is, yes, it makes sense. (I used to think they were karate people.)

Validecember
Supermod

Post by Validecember » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:06 am

324. Pamela's father (The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask)

Pamela's father is a paranormal researcher who moved to Ikana Canyon to study the spirits residing there. He discovered a tune that keeps the local undead at bay, and converted his home into a giant music box that plays the song constantly, using the nearby river for power. One day he attempts to inspect the nearby well, which is inhabited by Gibdos, and is cursed, slowly turning him into a Gibdo himself. As this is happening the river also dries up, causing the music to cease and Gibdos to amass outside the house, trying to claim Pamela's father as one of their own. All little Pamela can do is lock her insane father in the closet for his own protection.

When you finally enter the house for yourself, Pamela's father bursts out and attempts to attack you. One of the most frightening and tragic scenes in the game (which already has a lot of frightening and tragic scenes).

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:22 pm

325. Pretty much all of the bosses in Catherine, most notably Child with Chainsaw.

Most of the bosses in this game are not only conceptually and/or visually creepy, but they also will actively one-shot murder you in gruesome ways (as if the bottom of the tower you're climbing falling into an abyss isn't enough stress). Katherine's huge spiderlike hands shank you with a dinner fork, which is creepy enough, but this freaking massive cyborg abomination of an infant child will straight up chainsaw you if you dawdle, while screaming "DADDY!!!!"
I believe in second chances, and that's why I believe in you.

Validecember
Supermod

Post by Validecember » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:44 am

326. Mr. Vile (Banjo-Kazooie)

Mr. Vile lives in a large, inexplicably crocodile-shaped hut and challenges you to a minigame where you have to eat Yumblies. If you beat him, you win a Jiggie. If you lose, he'll chase you and try to bite you. You can get away, but only if you're quick and/or lucky enough, since he moves fast. Also, if you've already gotten the Jiggie and lose at his optional minigame, his chomp will cost you a whole life.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:56 am

327. The Villains (Carmen Sandiego: Word Detective)

For an edutainment game this is pretty less upbeat than most other Carmen Sandiego games - most V.I.L.E. villains are pretty much harmless and the violence against them is usually so cartoony you can't take it seriously. (At least, when it's present.) However, in this game, you aren't after the villains -when you have raided their hideouts of clues, they will try to find you. If you get the key, the criminal will then attempt to actually HURT you. While some are rather comical like Otto Readmore dropping books on his head or I.I. Captain falling down... others usually have you escape just in time like where a dog is running at you with fangs bared, an alien about to bite your face off, a sword centimetres from your face... brrr.

Validecember
Supermod

Post by Validecember » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:41 am

328. Rex appears (Dino Crisis)

In typical Capcom survival horror tradition, what seems to be a simple trip across an office to grab an important item turns into the game's biggest jump scare as the SUV-sized head of a T. rex crashes through the window. The office is claustrophobically small, and all you can do is stand in the corner of the room and shoot at the giant mouth, hoping to deal enough damage to make the creature retreat. Needless to say if it manages to sink its teeth into you it's an instant game over.

Return to “Creepy & Unexplained”