500 Scary Scenes from ALL Video Games

For everything and anything that goes "bump" in the night or is unexplained.

Moderator: Valigarmander

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:32 pm

41. Hawkmouth (Super Mario Bros. 2)

Hawkmouth serves as your portal between levels throughout SMB2, until World 7-2...

...when it unexpectedly flies out and begins attacking you.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:35 am

42. Ripsaw Rage (Donkey Kong Country 3)

The same rules that apply to any unstoppable moving wall of death. Plus, it's a giant ripsaw that is somehow sawing multiple trees in half vertically.

LOOT
Banned

Post by LOOT » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:52 am

43. The Night Mother (The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim)

Granted being in the Dark Brotherhood is always unsettling to start with, but what really gives a spook is during the quest line, you hide in the coffin of the Night Mother to spy on Cicero to see if he's planning a coup. Suddenly the coffin lights up and THIS FREAKY CORPSE IS TALKING TO YOU

and then later you become a bit more acquainted when you're sorta buried alive with the coffin (intentionally to save your butt, oddly enough)

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:17 pm

44. The Demon Wall. (Final Fantasy XII)

While the Demon Wall is nothing we haven't seen before (Final Fantasy IV), XII takes more advantage of the graphics engine to make it way more freaky. What makes the Demon Wall in XII a little more scary?

The first one comes out of NOWHERE - the second one gradually keeps coming close to you, and you will get an instant game over if it pins you against the wall. You have to get very close to it... and it will start pushing you back further and further. Sure, you can slow the wall (And it gives you a generous amount of space), but the first wall has done enough to scare you. Really plays off of claustrophobia.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:26 pm

45. Ascended Sleepers (The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind)

The incredibly low-res textures actually make it worse, I think.

Jesus

Post by Jesus » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:32 pm

Nava's death - Alundra

Nava is an old man who lives at the shore and was tasked with watching over the village. The game's creepy enough in that the main villain invades people's dreams to kill them off. You're Alundra who is the dreamwalker who can also enter dreams. Almost everyone dies in this game and it left me feeling like it was a hollow victory in the end. You're basically left with a near empty village of generic NPCs at that point. What struck me as shocking was Nava. When he dies you realize he was an eternal sage the entire time and took a less physical form after his death to still talk to Alundra. You have no idea what this creepy man on the beach does until the very end. You do know, however, when you visit him optionally at certain points in the game he'll mock the other sages with sarcastic comments sometimes.

LOOT
Banned

Post by LOOT » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:34 pm

That reminds me.

Big ol' Final Fantasy VI spoilers

[spoiler]47: Cid's Death: Final Fantasy VI

Wanna know what it's like to lose the only person that not only cares about you, but pretty much exists on the tiny island you're stranded on? Go on, feed Cid the slow fish!

you monster

e: you may think it's sad rather than scary, but realizing there's a dead person right where there used to be a kind old man is **** frightening[/spoiler]

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:44 am

48. Game Over (Ninja Gaiden)

[MEDIA=youtube]LVz9__a8x-I[/MEDIA]

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:13 am

[QUOTE="Sim Kid, post: 1489044, member: 22276"]44. The Demon Wall. (Final Fantasy XII)[/QUOTE] Also, it can X-Zone you, which is a one-hit kill that can only be reversed by winning the battle, so you just have to hope it doesn't decide to do that 6 times in a row.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:51 pm

49. Game over. (Robinson's Requiem)

I will let this image speak for itself....

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:02 am

50. Game Over (Disney's Tarzan)

[MEDIA=youtube]L0L9n89tJCY[/MEDIA]

Is he dead? Unconscious? Does that make these scenes any less horrifying?

10% of the way there!

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:38 am

51. The Dark Knight (Shining in the Darkness)

The Dark Knight comes with completely different music than the other bosses - and not only that, he doesn't just turn around after having a seizure to attack, he actually closes in and attacks you.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:07 am

52. DROP SPIDER IN THE DARK (Spelunky)

Your punishment for not being careful in a dark level is having one of these fall on your head. You're about half its size.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:57 pm

53. Scorpius (Sonic Spinball)

Just look at it. There's also the horrible shriek it emits whenever you hurt it.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:02 pm

54. Eriko's number one fan (Persona 2: Eternal Punishment)

In the same vein as that one teacher from Shin Megami Tensei If..., the Stalker is a recurring boss that gets more and more twisted the more you fight him. In this case, rather than grat more machine parts onto his body, he gets more and more beat-up from the previous times you beat him up. Similarly, he keeps appearing out of nowhere - entering rooms wel before you do, and just in general stalks Eriko.

Of course this is all just a hallucination, but that doesn't mean it's any less creepy.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:06 am

Includes major spoilers for Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies.

[spoiler]55. Simon's Mood Matrix (AA: Dual Destinies)

"Something's wrong with Mommy, so I'm taking her apart to fix her..."

The Ace Attorney series, while generally quite comedic, does deal with a lot of gruesome murders and has a number of dark moments. But this scene stands out as the most disturbing in all the franchise. Young Athena standing over her butchered mother, covered in blood. Her thousand-yard stare. The implication of an 11-year-old girl murdering her own mother.[/spoiler]

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:57 pm

56. Cùchulainn (Final Fantasy Tactics)

While some may suggest the other Zodiac Braves as being a little more scary (Belias, for how much trouble they caused), my vote for the scariest goes for Cùchulainn. By the time you meet the others, notably Belias, you've already known what to expect. When you see this guy? You have pretty much no warning other than that there is a corrupt holyman you must stop... and WHOA WHAT ON EARTH IS THAT?!? When Oogie Boogie-I mean Cùchulainn opens up his sewn up stomach, there's another mouth there, and he will sentence all your party members to death with the doom status, usually before you act. Not only that, but you hear some really freaky music whenever you fight these guys.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:24 am

57. "But... the future refused to change." (Chrono Trigger)

The most depressing possible ending to CT. All of the heroes' efforts were for naught, the world is destroyed, and the whole scene ends with Lavos' unearthly wail.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:20 am

58. Diablo - the whole thing. It may be hard to believe, as this game is known for being one of the goriest, creepiest games ever made, but it was only billed as an action RPG. When you think of adventure games and RPGs, a lot of people think of dragons and wizards, but Blizzard North saw the legions of undead, and demons in crypts, and asked what would happen if we made a game that shows just how evil these taken-for-granted staples actually are? The answer to that question is Diablo - a game whose common fauna are shown to be just as awful as always were meant to be.

I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:58 am

59. Dianogas (Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire)

The sewers stage is bad enough with its poor lighting, its claustrophobic corridors, and its ominous music. But it also happens to be populated by these ****, who you will hear snarling at you from the murky depths long before you actually see them. The threat of being attacked by these writhing tentacled monsters makes any underwater portion of this water-filled stage nerve-wracking. Then there's the gargantuan one you battle at the end of the level...

Return to “Creepy & Unexplained”