500 Scary Scenes from ALL Video Games

For everything and anything that goes "bump" in the night or is unexplained.

Moderator: Validecember

Validecember
Supermod

Post by Validecember » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:26 pm

60. Great Sea Trench (Final Fantasy V)

The Great Sea Trench is a place at the bottom of the sea you must visit to obtain the third tablet for the Sealed Castle. It isn't that much different than any other dungeon in the game, apart from its unique inhabitants.

Image Image Image Image

All of the enemies you encounter down here are undead, attack with a myriad of status-inducing moves, have gruesome sprites not shared with any other enemies in the game, and none of them even have names.

What the hell are they?

Validecember
Supermod

Post by Validecember » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:45 pm

61. Game Over (The Legend of Zelda: The Adventure of Link)

WAH HAH HAH HAH HAH

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:15 pm

62. The Giant Catfish (Ape Escape)

Holy crap, what is this thing?!?

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:21 pm

A giant catfish.

Validecember
Supermod

Post by Validecember » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:48 am

63. Krack Shot Krok (Donkey Kong 64)

This unseen foe appears in Angry Aztec, Crystal Caves, and Creepy Castle within certain internal areas. When encountered, a crosshair will appear over the player and a menacing voice will growl "GET OUT", triggering a timer that ends with you being blasted into oblivion unless you're able to exit the area in time.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:52 pm

64. John. (Tales of the Abyss)

To give some context into what's happening here... the main characters are trying to clear the miasma from Akzeriuth. This alone is pretty scary, but then it gets worse. How could it get worse? The town FALLS INTO A FREAKING OCEAN OF MUD AND TOXIC GAS! Of course your characters survive, but pretty much everyone else not killed on impact lands right in the mud and is swallowed up. Right as the party is trying to make some kind plan to retreat their temporary shelter, they are interrupted by a weak kid's groaning. Cut to John, an injured boy who is clinging to a piece of wreckage, reaching out for some way to escape, but he is pinned by his father's corpse.

Natalia obviously wants to save him, but Tear stops her because that mud is bottomless (well, figure of speech) and then tells her that she'll just kill herself. Johnny cries for help more... and then...

He sinks, still pinned by the corpse and clinging to the wreckage.

This game does NOT play the "Infant Immortaility" trope straight at ALL.

Validecember
Supermod

Post by Validecember » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:19 am

65. Trapped babes (Duke Nukem 3D)

The reason for the aliens' invasion of Earth in DN3D is to capture all the women, because why not. Every now and then you'll come across one of these women, trapped within a green cocoon-like vessel.

The babes are helpless and apparently in agony, as they beg you in a weak groan to kill them. Complying with their wishes causes them to scream in pain and explode into gibs.

Fun fact: the censorific N64 port of the game had the babes changed to be rescueable rather than killable. This Bowdlerized "babe saving" mechanic became a staple of later Duke Nukem games.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:15 pm

^ I always liked that homage to Aliens, where they're essentially already goners and you can't help them.

66. An Uninvited Guest (Rescue on Fractalus)

In the early home computer market, Fractalus was a godsend. It made use of a 3D, very-highly optimised, real-time landscape engine. The technology was unheard of, a first of its kind and well before anyone had any right to expect it on home computers. In the game, the player flies a space craft around a hostile planet, dodging enemy fire and seeking crashed pilots to rescue.

The player would land his ship near a wreck, and watch as the tiny figure of a pilot approached his ship's unseen bay door. When the pilot reached his ship he'd hear a pounding on the door as the frantic pilot tried to make it aboard while he rapidly ran out of breathable oxygen.

Every once in a long while, though, something would be off about the approaching pilot, which the player could possibly notice if he caught glimpse of the sprite as it approached. If the player had already opened his ship door, it would already be too late. He may have had to endure a tense silence, interrupted only by the strange pilot pounding on his bay door. If he didn't lift off, he would soon find himself with only a second to react as an alien flings itself through the windshield, intent on murdering him. The existence of fake pilots wasn't public knowledge at all, and is widely regarded by older computer gamers as the first time a game truly terrified them.

To make matters worse, once the player rescued a distressed pilot, or if he found an empty ship, he would have to destroy the ship before leaving. If he failed to destroy the wreckage, these aliens would actually enter the empty ships and turn on their distress beacons as a ploy to lure the player.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Validecember
Supermod

Post by Validecember » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:55 pm

67. Spin-N-Puke (Gex)

This affectionate parody of Linda Blair's character from The Exorcist is, fittingly enough, the boss of the game's horror-themed first world. At the start of the battle, she has the appearance of a beautiful young woman, and attacks by raising skulls and hurtling them at you.

After taking enough hits, she suddenly morphs into a shriveled, head-rotating crone that attacks with projectile vomit.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:07 pm

68. Virages (Legend of Dragoon)

At first when you see a Virage, it is efinitely an eldritch abomination but that wasn't a full one. When you face a full one... good lord look how big it is!

Validecember
Supermod

Post by Validecember » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:46 am

69. Bubba

Upon first encountering this big fish, a player will typically assume bumping into him will cause you to take a little bit of damage. Nope, he swallows you whole and kills you.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:08 am

Since I accidentally threw off the count with my last post in this thread, I'm gonna do 2 to set it back on course:

70. Bolbox (EVO - Search for Eden)

Game full of relatively normalish animal variations...& then giant space amoeba that spits out animals from its hand. Great.

71. Flame goat head things (Xargon 3: Xargon's Fury)

[media=youtube]dbb4iZkwJLY[/media]
Throughout the first 2 areas of Xargon's castle are these demonic goat-head-looking wall ornaments. They're always in a creepy black backdrop, in contrast with most of the castles walls being stone. At first you think they're just there to LOOK scary, but then one of those suckers spits flame on you, & you realize they ALL do that. At seemingly random intervals. And you have to pass by almost every dang one of them.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:03 pm

72. Phanto (Super Mario Bros. 2)
Holy hell.

This freaked me out as a kid. In SMB2 you would need to get a key from time to time. But then these possessed masks on the wall would chase you until you opened the door, and until then there was NOTHING YOU COULD DO ABOUT IT. It went through walls to find you. It wouldn't stop until it killed you. It freaked me out more than the angry sun from SMB3. Just look at how it mocks you while you run away.
LOOK AT IT.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Validecember
Supermod

Post by Validecember » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:58 pm

73. Bleak (Donkey Kong Country 3)

Frosty the Snowman meets Pennywise the Clown. He cackles sinisterly every time you hit him, and upon defeat he goes into some kind of horrible seizure and then explodes. Very lovely.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:23 pm

74. The Obsidian Mansion (Rune Factory 4)

Apparently no one has ever taken a picture of the actual level, so you get one of the boss. RF4 is basically Animal Crossing or Harvest Moon both in terms of gameplay and tone. This level, meanwhile, is a parody of every haunted mansion from anything ever. It's got the "eyeball staring back at you" hole in the wall, self-locking doors, a journal of someone's descent into madness, a picture that talks about killing someone, a key that's mysteriously red, and is full of ghosts. It also mimics the famous scene from Resident Evil where a dog jumps through a window, except now it's a giant panther that leaps out of the house into the garden when you get out the back.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:42 pm

[QUOTE="ScottyMcGee, post: 1490207, member: 31048"]72. Phanto (Super Mario Bros. 2)
[/QUOTE]

Addendum: In Super Mario Advance, the Phanto gets another freaky change: Pick the key up and carry it outside, the Phanto starts off surprisingly small. Throw it away, and then it gets bigger. Because it's coming TOWARDS YOU. Thanks, Nintendo!

75. The Gribbler (The Longest Journey)

Validecember
Supermod

Post by Validecember » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:53 am

76. Save the Dinosaurs (3-D Dinosaur Adventure)

3-D Dinosaur Adventure has a number of edutaining minigames. Among them is "Save the Dinosaurs", where you're tasked with saving the dinosaurs from extinction by traveling back in time via "time tunnels" to bring dinosaurs to the present. Seems simple, but for the kids probably playing this game there's a lot of frightening stuff in those tunnels.

Like Dromaeosaurus, which loudly announce their presence when you run into them. Or the giant, photorealistic insects that will occasionally be unavoidable. And if the timer happens to deplete during this game, you'll be treated to the sight of the world being blasted by a giant comet, while the announcer exclaims that the dinosaurs are extinct and it's all your fault.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:26 am

77. The Mysterious Laugh (Metal Arms: Glitch in the System)

At the very end of the second Wastelands level, you enter a cave only to have the door slam shut behind you, a disembodied evil laugh play, and a dozen or so zombiebots (pictured) come running out at you. The laughter only happens here, and the game never attempts to explain what it was.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:12 pm

78. The Seven Heroes Romancing SaGa 2

The final boss is the Seven Heroes themselves... fused into one form. It starts of with just one, but as you beat them up, another one emerges from that twisted thing at the centre of them. They also gain the ability to act up to SEVEN TIMES in one round.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:26 pm

79. Gideon Graves (Scott Pilgrim vs. The World)

(the only screenshots I could find clipped out half of the boss, so here's some fantart instead. It looks about the same)

Mentioning bosses that fuse together...

Return to “Creepy & Unexplained”