If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

500 Scary Scenes from ALL Video Games

For everything and anything that goes "bump" in the night or is unexplained.

Moderator: Valigarmander

LOOT

Post by LOOT » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:29 pm

80. The Culling of Stratholme (Warcraft 3)

WC3 introduced a terrible faction of the Undead, made up of monstrosities and unholy beasts. Before they came to power, though, they had to infect the living. It was too late for Stratholme as the disease spread throughout the city quickly. You take control of Arthas for this mission and end their lives before Mal'ganis could gather enough forces killed by the plague. Just to really rub it in, you have to manually issue an attack order on each citizen, right clicking won't default to attack. Have fun, you bastard!

E: btw there is the implication of children there, and the novel outright describes Arthas smashing a young boy's skull in with his hammer.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:47 pm

Glad I could make it, Arthas.

It's not a spooky-kind of scary, but I think it qualifies. There's a subtle terrifying feeling as you move from one footprint to another, always just barely avoiding getting squished. Plus, you're in a location high above ground and this humongous unseen beast is still way above you. It's like getting attacked by a T-Rex while on a plane. I don't even know how it manages to stand, seeing as there's only one foot to look out for. It just feels weird.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:10 pm

82. Dr. Lugae (Final Fantasy IV)

When you first encounter Lugae, he's a rather unremarkable-looking human scientist. When you battle him, he morphs into a heavily-armed skeleton robot thing.

It's even worse in the DS version, where you see the thing in motion.

[MEDIA=youtube]GuA6thW-vRg[/MEDIA]
(about 3:10 in)

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:11 pm

83. Malice Gilbert (Shadow Hearts: From the New World)

Again, while Shadow Hearts arguably doesn't count, Covenant and From the New World were significantly lighter than Koudelka and the first Shadow Hearts game, and if anything, got wackier as the series went on, with From the New World having its silliness switched turned on practically from the start. (Practically being the keyword.)

Gilbert should be enough of a red flag of "Yes, this guy is bad news" and "This guy is freaky", but when you confront Gilbert in teh final dungeon, he turns into this.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:59 pm

84. King RedEye (Star Fox Adventures)

If you're anything like Val, you were playing this whole game wondering "When do I get to kill some Tyrannosaurs?" Well, the game does not disappoint.

The King RedEye is massive, and inhabits a narrow rectangular arena with few places for you to hide to avoid being trampled to death. After the boss is defeated, you deliver the killing blow by impaling it through the forehead with Krystal's staff.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:36 pm

85. The Orz (Star Control 2)

THIS IS A MESSAGE FROM SHIP'S COMPUTER TRANSLATION SUBSYSTEM. INCOMING MESSAGE EXTREMELY UNUSUAL IN COMPOSITION. TRANSLATION INCLUDES MANY LINGUAL ANOMALIES. OVERALL QUALITY OF TRANSLATION IS: UNKNOWN.

Hello extremely! I hope you like to *play!* Some *campers* are not so good for *playing*! You find Orz in Androsynth Space. But there are no Androsynth. ONly Orz. Visiting the Androsynth *ground* will make one of your campers *unhappy*. In any other setting, the ORz would be extremely unsettling.

Don't forget to *enjoy the sauce*

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:06 am

86. Fish Food Frenzy (Donkey Kong Country 3)

In this level you are followed by an unusually-friendly Nibbla, who will remain happy and helpful as long as he is constantly fed Cocos. If he grows hungry, his color will slowly shift from blue to red, and once he reaches the breaking point he will become hostile and attack you. If he eats a Lurchin by accident, this will irritate him further and bring him closer to attacking you. Having to constantly placate this vicious fish makes this whole level rather tense.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:00 pm

87. Egg Quarters (Sonic Adventure 2)

It's not the silly ghosts. It's the patrol beetles. The invincible patrol beetles with their unavoidable attack, one of which is coming towards you at all times. The shadows keep you safe, unless you encounter them in a hallway with no shadows. And, of course, you don't know the shadows keep you safe without talking to Omochao, & who does that as anything but a last resort?

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Auron

Post by Auron » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:40 am

88. Scarecrow (Arkham Asylum)

Up until this point, you are the terror in this game. Sneaking up on and beating up unsuspecting villains. But then all of a sudden the floors start to tilt, your closest allies die horrifying deaths, bugs crawl out of every crack in the wall, and you stumble into the worst room to be in: the morgue. Between the whispering slots in the walls and the moving body bags, everything is just so God damn freaky and unnerving until at last the Scarecrow pops out. But it's still not over. Now he hovers around as this giant hulling menace which will most likely devour your soul if he so much as even catches a glimpse of you. Maddeningly scary, but all three encounters are easily the highlight of the game.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:16 pm

89. Hell (King's Quest VI)
King's Quest is a fairly light-hearted series, the best-known mega franchise of the Point & Click Adventure's heyday, predating GUI interfaces and launching way back in 1983. It's remembered for its whimsical fairy-tale settings, and the sixth game in series is, for the most part, equally light-hearted fantasy.

Until you go to hell, that is, navigate the river Styx, and speak to... whatever it is that rules there. Oh, there's a bit with dancing skeletons (they had a competition with LucasArts to work those in, I'd guess), but no attempts to lighten the mood can really prepare a young person for this personification of Death:

His name is Samhain. The King's Quest wikia relates:

Thousands of years ago, Samhain was once a mortal man, but he insulted the gods and was sentenced to rule the Underworld for all eternity. He was left mateless; robbed of sleep, robbed of movement, robbed of companionship. He is bound to his throne; it is part of him; he cannot move anymore. He is further bound by chains and shackles. Over the centuries, he has become virtually emotionless and has no sympathy for the mortal souls whom he judges and presides over. He hates mortals for the mortality that he lost.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:18 pm

90. Meltigemini (Final Fantasy IX)

Zorn and Thorn are creepy enough normally.

Then they combine together to form this thing.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:57 pm

#89 was already posted - though it only mentioned Death rather than all of the afterlife

91. The Danger music The Sims

[MEDIA=youtube]4Il5aZhYy8E[/MEDIA]

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:07 pm

[QUOTE="Sim Kid, post: 1490711, member: 22276"]#89 was already posted - though it only mentioned Death rather than all of the afterlife[/quote]
Haha my bad, I actually did a quick search for him by name (Samhain) and the Land of the Dead before I posted, predictably no results. As an interesting tidbit, the character other people usually refer to as 'Death' in KQ is Charon, although neither one of them is named it, and he's a creepy bugger too.

I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:38 pm

92. Everything (Doom 64)

In many ways, Doom 64 is an intermediate between Doom 1+2 and Doom 3. At its bare bones, it's almost completely identical to the first two games. In fact, the game was built using a modified Doom engine, and with very minor exceptions the weapons, items and monsters behave completely the same. Gameplaywise, Doom 64 is still an action FPS like its predecessors, rather than a survival horror FPS like Doom 3.

The biggest changes are aesthetic, but they are indeed big. The game is far, far darker and more frightening than the first two games in the franchise. The palette is more muted, and the game's textures and objects are more realistic and gritty in appearance. The monsters are less colorful and more demonic in both looks and sound. The rock'n'roll soundtrack is traded in for chilling ambient music. Whereas Doom and Doom 2 make you want to burst into hell, guns blazing, to blast away everything you see, Doom 64 leaves you cautious and anxious about what terrors may be lurking in the dark corridors ahead.

Auron

Post by Auron » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:40 pm

Not exactly sure that qualifies as a scary scene from a non scary game if the whole game is.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:54 pm

It's Val's thread, he'll do what he wants. :mad:

Thanous

Post by Thanous » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:23 am

93. Draugr from skyrim

Damn when that game came out I couldn't play a bunch of missions because of how freaking scary those Draugr were.

Then I watched a ton of horror movies with friends and went back and played all those missions.

Probably a ton more scenes I can't remember rn, will post as I play through more XD[DOUBLEPOST=1411968220,1411968084][/DOUBLEPOST]94. Risen from fire emblem awakening(not sure if they were in the other games)

е и ժ е я
Supermod

Post by е и ժ е я » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:16 pm

95. Am I playing the right series? (King's Quest: Mask of Eternity)

So, as I said before, King's Quest is generally known for being a colorful and fairly light-hearted fantasy game. King's Quest VII was even criticised by fans for being too cartoony and targeting a younger, simpler-minded audience. Apparently the developers took that criticism to heart, because the only resemblance the eighth game in the series has to previous entries in the series is in its name. The game starts out in a Tolkien-esque village setting, but it's quickly plunged into literal darkness as all of the game's NPCs are turned to stone, and the player is hounded by the undead in an ominous setting reminiscent of a less gory Diabo or Nightmare Creatures:

Oddly enough, the newest title in the series had become an action adventure title with dark fantasy stylings. No more talking things out, and not much talking at all for that matter.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:04 pm

96. The Dragonlord (Dragon Quest)

Now, the Dragonlord (or Dracolord if you played the GBC version) fits this list IMO mostly because of the 'surprise' factor and the shock factor.

Around this timeframe, most RPGs featured bosses, but the final boss was merely just that - a last boss, often an upgraded trash mob. The Dragonlord appears to be just this

[no screenshot of an in-game version sadly.]

The true shock comes from the fact that once you beat him, all of a sudden he gets back up for round two.

Now, while a final boss with multiple forms is pretty standard in RPGs today, when this game came out we did not know that suddenly, the Dragonlord would get up and reveal his true form.
...or his pet dragon comes to avenge his master, but apparently Enix liked the former so much that they actually made it canon.

Kamaro

Post by Kamaro » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:58 am

I'm surprised this one hasn't been mentioned yet...

97. The River Twygz Bed Music (Super Paper Mario)

There's no doubt that (on the surface at least) Super Paper Mario is about as cheery and colorful as its predecessors, if not moreso in some cases. With some exceptions, it has tons of personality and comedy, all while using a cutesy graphics style to charm you into loving this adorable little game...

Aaaaaaand then you go to this game's version of Hell.

It's bad enough the that Underwhere is literally the underworld of this setting, but at one point you need to go across a river called the River Twygz. Not only does this river have creepy disembodied hands that chase you around, but once you get near the river bed, you're treated to THIS little number:

[MEDIA=youtube]0YeeVhz_iXw[/MEDIA]

Gee, thanks game. Not like I was looking to SLEEP tonight or anything...

Return to “Creepy & Unexplained”