Prophets, predictions, foreshadowings and the like.

For everything and anything that goes "bump" in the night or is unexplained.

Moderator: Valigarmander

ScottyMcGee

Prophets, predictions, foreshadowings and the like.

Post by ScottyMcGee » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:11 am

Do you believe some people have the power to foretell the future?

I was talking to my girlfriend the other day about the possibility of a Second American Civil War should someone do something really rash at an Anit-Trump protest, or even assassinate Trump.

I then ran into reading about Baba Vanga. She was a blind Bulgarian clairvoyent who died back in 1996. She gained noteriety after people suspected that she predicted 9/11 in 1989 with the quote:

"Horror, horror! The American brethren will fall after being attacked by the steel birds. The wolves will be howling in a bush, and innocent blood will be gushing."

Take that as you will.

However, most disoncerting, is her correct prediction of the 44th American president being black. Not only that, but she claimed that the 44th president would be the last American president before civil war broke out again.

She predicted the start of a great Muslim war in Syria for 2010. She claimed that Muslims would invade Europe and that by next year Europe would be a wasteland. Then by 2043, Rome becomes a caliphate.

China will become the leading superpower in 2018. The ice caps will melt by 2045. Cloning organs will be available by 2048 (as someone working in the biology field, I think we are literally knocking on the door of that one).

Then the crazier **** for the far future, such as:
Discovering time travel anywhere from 2262 to 2304.
"Secrets of the moon" will be unveiled - whatever that means (Doctor Who episode anyone?)
All civilization will be gone by 3815
From 4302 to 4674 the concepts of evil and hatred have been eliminated, humans are immortal and have assimilated with aliens.
The 340 billion people scattered throughout the universe can talk to God. Which is nice.
In 5079 the universe will end. Bummer.

I have a book of Nostradamus prophecies. I bought it because it was on sale so I thought "Why not?" My enthusiasm died down when I realized that after you hit the year 2005, there are more and more prophecies that didn't happen, although some eerily did, such as Katrina, the Iraq War, and the housing crisis. A "masculine woman" in politics was predicted for 2015, purpoted to be Hillary Clinton. After that, there was supposed to be a string of ecological disasters this year. Next year would be Islamic terrorism, some Catholic scandals. Yada yada.

I didn't think much of it until I discovered Baba Yaga and found it really creepy that both her and Nostradamous predicted radical Islamic terrorism to happen around the same time period, give or take several years.

Then again, as is the most common explanation for prophecies, it could just be us interpreting what someone said in hindsight.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:48 am

Don't believe it at all. If you say some vague **** and wait, enough stuff happens in the world that it'll sound like you predicted a dozen different things given time. The far future ones you posted don't even work together - how are there 340 billion people assimilating with aliens if all civilization ended 500 years prior? Not to mention that someone making a prediction in 1989 knows what planes and skyscrapers are. The only reason to say "steel birds" and "brethren" instead is that those words and vague and can be fit to events.

For that matter, it doesn't even have to be vague if you just write enough of it. Look at how many ridiculously specific things The Simpsons have explicitly predicted despite only being around for 20-some years. Nobody's calling them psychic.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:46 am

It's not even worth any consideration, IMO. I do find it funny when people don't believe in God but are steeped in this type of mumbo jumbo, though. A friend of mine keeps pushing his spiritual journey stuff on me, but that doesn't stop him from being cynical of religion.

I think it's interesting to watch prediction dates pass though, I do find that vaguely entertaining. Like that 2012 apocalypse thing and Y2K.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:38 am

^^They meant civilization as in organized countries or any kind of government. People would be living in a Mad-Max-esque world.

Plot twist: When I was younger I thought what if most psychics and prophets are false only because their previous life was in the future? And the future they remember doesn't exactly happen that way becuase they now entered a parallel universe where different choices are made based on the tiny ripples they created from trying to warn people about things. What if reincarnation doesn't only mean transferance into a new body, but transferance throughout the spacetime continuum?

It made up for great fantasy backstory in my writing.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:33 am

...I'll believe in psychics and their predictions once one of them predicts things frequently, accurately and specifically. I'm not interested in prophecies that have to be interpreted after the fact, because that isn't particularly helpful. How about a prophet who reveals the future not in cryptic quatrains, but in AP-style reporting. Start with the date, time and location of the event, give a brief summary, then expand into the particulars. Like what the hell good is a prophet if all he does is babble nonspecific nonsense for years, and then runs through the streets screaming "fools! i warned you all!' after the meteors have started falling. I ask you.
boo------------------------------he can cause a riot in sunday school

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:14 pm

What IAN and Boo said. Prophecies are vague by design so they can be shoehorned to fit whatever eventually does happen. Even if there are or have been actual prophets, I question the use of predicting the future through nebulous symbolism that can only be deciphered after the event in question has occurred.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:57 pm

[QUOTE="I am nobody, post: 1613531, member: 34539"]
For that matter, it doesn't even have to be vague if you just write enough of it.[/QUOTE]

Should've included this as a better proof of point: If you generate an infinite random number and encode it with whatever method you like, it will, at some point, contain a description of all of history to an arbitrary level of detail. Pi may actually work for this as well, despite being random - as far as I know it's still believed to contain all sequences.

Of course, it also contains an infinite number of descriptions of history that are wrong or gibberish at all the parts you care about, and it potentially takes all of time to find meaningful sequences at all. So not really any more useful than regular psychics.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:05 pm

I don't believe the future exists yet, so no. Anyone can predict the future by looking at things going on in the world. Like this:
"Horror, horror! The American brethren will fall after being attacked by the steel birds. The wolves will be howling in a bush, and innocent blood will be gushing."
I mean, all things considered, it's not exactly a stretch to predict that planes will be used for terrorism. There had been already several instances of hijacking in the 80s and 90s. Hell, this quote doesn't even specify that the steel birds are American, or the way the attack will actually be conducted.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:21 pm

I am suddenly reminded of this:
[MEDIA=youtube]t07UzTcApMI[/MEDIA]

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:37 pm

"im feeling human, you know a human or are a human"

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:01 pm

[QUOTE="I am nobody, post: 1613596, member: 34539"]Pi may actually work for this as well, despite being random - as far as I know it's still believed to contain all sequences.[/QUOTE] Pi, e, & any other transcendental number.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number .99999999999...!"

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:45 pm

[QUOTE="I REALLY HATE PHASIANIDAE!, post: 1613535, member: 18119"]It's not even worth any consideration, IMO. I do find it funny when people don't believe in God but are steeped in this type of mumbo jumbo, though. A friend of mine keeps pushing his spiritual journey stuff on me, but that doesn't stop him from being cynical of religion.

I think it's interesting to watch prediction dates pass though, I do find that vaguely entertaining. Like that 2012 apocalypse thing and Y2K.[/QUOTE]

Slight bump because I feel the need to talk about this old dude who hangs out at one of the main entrance walkways of the college campus I used to attend. My Freshman year he was handing out pamphlets about the 2012 apocalypse and how we would all die (I kept one as a souvenir, but threw it away eventually) unless we REPENT. After the ~date of destiny~ passed, I wondered if that guy would finally go do something else useful with his life, but nO. DUDE WAS STILL THERE, THIS TIME ADVERTISING A DIFFERENT APOCALYPSE. He was literally there all 4 years of my college career and is still there over one year after that, and has advertised at least 3 different apocalypses since the start. He's either the world's most dedicated troll, or somehow seriously believes this **** despite the fact that not a single one of them has happened.
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:17 pm

People who buy into specific apocalypses like that aren't rational enough to be like "oh well that one wasn't real so maybe we can't actually predict this with accuracy" and just latch onto the next one. Reminds me of people who try to predict the return of Christ or alien contact and just keep pushing the date. If and when something happens is simply out of our ability to predict. We can't even be 100% sure of the weather so yeah.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:20 pm

Isn't there some famous evangelical or something who was really adamant about the world ending recently and then he just moved onto another year? I don't think it was for 2012. I think maybe it was 2013 or something. May comes to mind.

Every year people think it's The End. Back in pre-1000 AD people thought the world was going to end on 1000 AD.
SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:36 pm

3000 A.D for sure.

Return to “Creepy & Unexplained”