Review the last game you finished

Moderator: X-3

I am nobody

Re: Review the last game you finished

Post by I am nobody » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:17 am

3. Metroid Prime (2/5) (GC)

It took me four tries over the last 10 or so years to finally finish this game. I blamed it on the backtracking previously, and that's definitely part of it, but I think it has more to do with the controls. It's basically the first-person equivalent of tank controls, which are awkward for platforming and result in silly situations where you get hit sidestepping is the slowest action you can take without a lock-on. And that lock-on is the the other main problem for me - it's obviously necessary if you want to move and shoot with one analog stick, but as a consequence most fights feel pretty much the same. You mash L until you get a lock when you don't have one, then you jump constantly while mashing or holding A until either the enemy dies or you lose your lock and have to start over. Aside from bosses and the odd hallway that's to narrow to jump around in, nothing ever really forces you to change that strategy. Admittedly, the boss fights are actually all pretty interesting, but they're a small part of the game, and the hallway fights usually devolve into either popping around corners until the thing dies or tanking damage if you're impatient.

Which is a shame, because there's a lot about the rest of the game I like. The environments still look great even after 15+ years, the soundtrack is perfect for this kind of game, and the world building and creature designs are consistently interesting. I can see why this is such a special game for many people, but for me all those strengths are weighed down by the frustration of fighting the same four turrets in the same places in the same way in Lava Monitor for the seventh time. I'd probably like this game a lot more if enemies didn't respawn and the backtracking was more evenly distributed across rooms.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:39 am

^ My main issue was finding where to go and what to do, the rest seems fine to me. I know being cryptic is a Metroid thing but I need clear direction.

Is 2/5 your rating or the date? I'd give it a solid 8.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:57 am

Number this year -> Title -> Date -> Platform

Although I do like the idea of doing a review system where the scale is constantly changing. :p

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:36 pm

That was the best part of Clueless Gamer, so I support it!

X-3

Post by X-3 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:32 pm

2018-29.) Super Smash Guys Ultimate

The game itself is pretty good but the online is substandard. Quickplay is basically a meme due to GSP and choose-your-own-ruleset, and Arenas have a lot of UI issues and take forever to cycle through. (lol just don't lose)

30.) I thought there was another game I played before 2018 ended, but I forgot what it was or it didn't exist in the first place. Oh well.

2019-01.) Resident Evil 2 Remake

I wasn't originally planning on getting this game, but there was a deal that let me get it and DMCV by buying a graphics card, so why not. I never played the original RE2 so I'm not authority on how good it is as a remake but I do like the game a great deal. It's very tense and manages to stay that way even when you come to learn the layout of RPD, which I consider pretty cool. You're never really truly resource-starved at all, but the amount of bullets it takes to kill a zombie trains you to be conservative and to plan things out. Then the game throws a wrench in your plans in the form of Mr. X, who will stalk you incessantly forcing you to abandon slow, careful movement in favor of quick action.

I have two 'complaints', and they're more based on stuff I've heard about that were cut from the original. Plot-wise Leon and Claire's scenarios don't really gel together at all and some enemies were cut altogether. Considering one of those enemies is the giant spider, maybe that's a blessing.

2.) Tetris 99

I've barely played Tetris before, but I can safely say that this game is more terrifying than RE2. One second you're chugging along just fine, the next second Johnny Tetris God dumps 8 rows of junk onto your board. One game, around 5-8 people targeted me at the very beginning of the game. I didn't last long.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:53 pm

4. Wargroove (2/16) (PC)

I hear this is a lot like Advance Wars, but I never played any of those and can't make comparisons. I can say that it's a turn-based skirmish game that puts a ton of emphasis on unit matchups, holding money-generating buildings, and build orders. You start out with a handful of units at the start of every mission, but success is usually determined by how quickly you can build up the money to start recruiting more powerful units. The most expensive ones can be as much as 12 times the cost of your basic swordsman, and you rarely have more than one or two buildings to recruit with per turn, so those recruiting at the wrong time or letting an expensive unit die too early can sink a battle almost immediately.

But it's probably most interesting for completely eschewing randomness. You can see exactly how much damage a unit is going to do before you attack, and even critical hits are determined by positioning rather than dice rolls. It's a great demonstration of how little randomness actually adds to other strategy games, and it's something I wish XCOM and the like learn from in future iterations. Staying on the positive side, it also has an impressively robust custom campaign creator, and there are puzzle and arcade modes for anyone who still needs more.

Still, it ended up not quite working for me. Some of it was down to usability issues: there's no obvious way of seeing which units haven't activated in a turn, the auto-pathing frequently does stupid things when you're setting an attack, you can't overlay your own movement with the enemy's attack range for some insane reason, the game is unbearably slow with animations turned on, and enemy turns feel too long even with them off, etc. Then it did the thing that always bothers me about these kinds of games and made later battles hard by giving the AI ridiculously favorable setups instead of making it smarter. I get that this complaint is pretty specific to me and plenty of people are fine with that, but I got bored of the scenarios halfway through and dropped the difficulty all the way down so I could see the end and be done with it.

It's not a bad game, but it wasn't quite what I'm looking for.

5. Super Mario Galaxy (2/16) (Wii)

I played about a third of it when it came out and then never finished. I liked it then and still like it now, but I don't think the motion controls add much of anything, the water levels are uniformly awful, and the camera really struggles with some of maps. Still, I had a good time with it, and I might've even stuck around to try for 100% if I didn't have a million other games I need to get to.

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”