GREAT parts in great games.

Moderator: X-3

Valigarmander
Supermod

GREAT parts in great games.

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:02 am

The final battle and ending of Super Metroid. The baby Metroid hatchling's rescue and sacrifice, your subsequent beatdown of Mother Brain, and blasting your way to your gunship with the Hyper Beam as the planet self-destructs is such a great climax to one of my favorite games of all time.

Getting the Falcon in Final Fantasy VI. It immediately follows a very touching scene revealing Setzer's backstory, and not only does it open up the entire World of Ruin to you, but the overworld theme that plays from there on out is one of the best in the entire series.

Every giant Bowser fight in Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story. I wish there were more of them.

New! Tazy Ten

Re: GREAT parts in great games.

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:16 am

The final level of Plague of Shadows is pretty great.
Spoiler.
Not just because you fight yourself as a shadow, but because the entire thing after the Enchantress fight is utter chaos and you have no idea what's going on until it's over. It's unmitigated chaos.

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:26 am

a recent, obvious example: new donk city

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:13 am

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:21 am

Zero Escape has loads of them, but they're all pure spoilers. So skipping over those three and heading down my list:

The Bloody Baron questline in The Witcher 3. It's very early on, but it sets your expectations perfectly for what's to come. It takes place over a huge area of the map, introduces some of the best characters in the game, and subverts your expectations every step of the way. I know this is "the obvious one" that everyone points to as what makes TW3 such a masterpiece but, well, there's a reason it's such a popular example.

Of all things, the final credit sequence in NieR: Automata. It's the perfect ending to the game's themes, does something really cool with the 4th wall, and is set to what has quickly become one of my favorite tracks period. I'd link it, but the name is massive spoilers. :doh:

As bad as it is at actually ending, Mass Effect 3 nails pretty much all of the subplots. Chief among them for me is Rannoch, which resolves the Geth-Quarian conflict over what are easily three of the best missions in the series. You get your first real look at how both societies function internally, and while that arguably should've come much earlier than halfway through the last game in a trilogy, its hard to fault the presentation. Unfortunately, because ME3 is, again, bad at ending, it also has the potential to end with the infamous "we spent 5 minutes editing an actual stock image in Photoshop" photo of Tali.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:27 am

I'll actually use words in this post

Scorch 'n' Torch is one of my favorite levels in any platformer ever. The platforming itself is great, but not particularly better than all the rest of the fantastic platforming in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. What makes this level so good is the aesthetic. As you play through world 3, you are going through a chronological progression of events. The first level is a festival on the savannah, with impossibly happy music and all sorts of awesome African-inspired imagery and structures. In level 2, a windstorm kicks up and interrupts the festival, and you have to navigate through it while your enemies throw flaming barrels and other incendiary objects your way. Well, in level 3, those fire weapons from level 2 have officially started prairie fire. Welcome to Scorch 'n' Torch.

It's rare for platformers to have this unpsoken narrative from level to level, I think, unless I've been just blindly ignoring it for a while. (The only other example I can think of, perhaps unsurprisingly, is DKC3's forest world.)

Also, Scorch 'n' Torch has the best song in the game==and that's saying something for Tropical Freeze, which sports one of the best soundtracks...uh, ever.

Deku Tree

Post by Deku Tree » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:43 pm

God of War
Spoiler.
When you learn about Loki at the very end of the game. It changes the context of so much of what happened through the game.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:40 am

Great in a heartstring-pulling kinda way:

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Artemis008

Post by Artemis008 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:21 pm

Sonic Mania's Stardust Speed Way, act 2 specifically. It's such a fantastically designed level with lots of loops and other high speed set pieces, the music is the best track in the game imo, and the boss fight that ends the stage is wonderful.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:32 am

Ganon’s Tower in LttP is a phenomenal final dungeon. The basement area is this long, winding, extremely challenging series of puzzles and hidden rooms. Then when you finally find the Big Key, the upper floors become an all-out combat arena with increasingly difficult scenarios in which to fight enemies.

The whole dungeon really puts the skills you’ve been developing over the course of the previous 10 dungeons to the test, and it does so in a fair way.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:54 pm

Artemis008

Post by Artemis008 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:46 am

The final fight against Bowser in Super Mario World 2 is hands down the best in the series, no exceptions, it was the perfect way to end an already fantastic game.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:49 am

^ The music is **** awesome.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:49 am

Every battle against Vergil in DMC3. The GOAT boss fight.

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:59 pm

I really enjoyed the final portion of Ganon's Castle in OoT. Not the puzzles in the lobby area or whatever - but the actual tower once you step inside. It was aesthetically pleasing to climb up a blood-red carpet with the organ music growing more ominous with each floor.
Artemis008 wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:46 am
The final fight against Bowser in Super Mario World 2 is hands down the best in the series, no exceptions, it was the perfect way to end an already fantastic game.
I second this. It's not just my nostalgia talking. That was a badass final boss - music and everything. Music was so metal.

I don't remember the mission, but in MGSV: The Phantom Pain, there was a moment where I had to stop a tank. My original sneaky plan failed so I resorted to riding my horse and chasing after it and just shooting it with a rocket launcher. I rode parallel to the tank so we were shooting across at each other from a distance. I leaped over crevices and the horse neighed. Man, it was at that moment when I really thought "DAMN. This is AWESOME."

Revenge of Meta Knight is my favorite part of Kirby All Star. It's a quick, action-oriented sequence and the music is BALLER. Right up to the end credits.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:23 pm

Kratos vs Lloyd fight in ToS is **** iconic. The music is a unique track (the only other bossfight to have a unique track in this game is the final boss); it comes right after you've made the Big Decision at the Big Reveal which hypes it up immensely; "I'm not going to hold back this time." / "I know. I won't either." UFHFHDHSNSHDHSHDHD I'm getting emotional just thinking about it.

Don't worry about the fact that the fight is a joke once you learn how to cheese it with tiger blade/demonic tiger blade from behind. It's a GOOD ass moment, aight. And it's the only time other than the colosseum where you gotta fight singlehandedly.

...now I have The End of a Thought stuck in my head. No regrets, it's a jam.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:40 pm

Greenthumb Gardens in Dragon Quest VII

One of the more interesting parts of Dragon Quest VII is... actually the least hands-on scenario.

The premise of Dragon Quest VII is that your characters must set right what once went wrong and rescue villages in the past from their destruction. One of your early adventures is to Greenthumb Gardens - a village that was just hit by the stone rain (Which you experienced earlier), but this time you arrive in time and are able to rescue the townsfolk.

However, that was literally the only thing threatening the town - the heroes stay by and watch a soap opera unfold, with a four way love triangle. But ultimately, it ends in a non-solution.

So you go to visit the town in the present to find that Greenthumb Gardens is no more - there's another town where everyone packed up and went to instead. However, you know... very little about just what happened next. You can start to figure a few pieces of the puzzle - the new town is Wilted Heart, and there is a convent nearby with two tombstones who're so eroded you can't read the names anymore. Huh.

HOURS later, literally, AWHILE later, you rescue a town from a time loop called El Ciclo. Since time starts moving again, hey, the bridge that was scheduled to open tomorrow will open. Might as well check it out. But on the other side, you see a familiar place. It's Greenthumb Gardens! 30 years in the future.

Of course, because the scenario ended in a non-solution (with nobody getting what they wanted), you see the final pieces of the puzzle - nobody's happy. All the people involved married other people, but they weren't happy with their marriages. The rich guy in the manor now works as the gardener, his maid is in a loveless marriage and poisons her husband, the girl who was scheduled to marry the rich guy (But loved the gardener) to get rid of her family debts ran away to a convent after having a child, and the gardner went and formed Wilted Heart... he was the only one who got a semblance of a happy ending, since he got to raise his beloved's daughter. However, hwen he died of old age (or a broken heart), he was buried next to the woman he loved in the nearby convent... and he never even knew she was there.

It's really intriguing, despite not being an epic battle to save the world or the town. It's not common that games with time travel include multiple time periods, but also ones where you actually get to meet people in the future.

This isn't the first time you experience people from other scenarios, too - You meet the Torban player from the Roamers later on, and you even meet an NPC before you save him in a later scenario.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:38 am

Moment in Persona 3 when protag first summons his persona who then promptly explodes into Thanatos..... **** badass. Far FAR moreso in original and FES. Portable ruined the cutscenes unfortunately

MeowMan

Post by MeowMan » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:00 am

everyone talks about New Donk City, but also: Ruined Kingdom

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:57 pm

stone

tower

hecking

temple

"but apollo, you can't just cite like 1/4 of the entire game as a great part" UM YES THE **** I CAN

STONE TOWER TEMPLE STOLE THE SHOW IN MAJORA'S MASK

EXCELLENT MUSIC

SPOOKY ATMOSPHERE

VISUAL STORYTELLING

THE FLIPPY MECHANIC MADE ME LOSE MY **** THE FIRST TIME

OST DYNAMICALLY CHANGES WITH LEVEL

HOLY HECKIN MACKEREL I GET TO BE A GIANT

MINIBOSS STILL TERRIFIES ME BECAUSE IT'S A DAMN BAT VAMPIRE MONSTROSITY

ATMOSPHERE!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Plus the climb is just great. This temple evokes a *mood* that I have a hard time describing in words but sticks with me. It's creepy. You can feel the history. The excellence begins in Ikana Castle and builds toward the best dungeon in the game.

I know it only has 3 other contenders but it's also not even close. Stone Tower Temple is WHAT makes Majora's Mask so damn good (as far as level design goes, I mean). IT IS SO GOOD. FJDFJKSJFLDJSFJLDSDF HECK, GUYS, IT'S INCREDIBLE AND I WANNA GO REPLAY MM NOW EITHER VERSION IS FINE I JUST LOVE THIS GAME 1000000/10

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”