AGDQ/SGDQ General

Moderator: X-3

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Re: AGDQ/SGDQ General

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:11 pm

Is there a YouTube channel this stuff is uploaded to?

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:35 pm

Yep!

https://www.youtube.com/user/gamesdonequick

They're really good at getting recordings up quickly. Like, within a day.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:06 am

The Sonic Mania race was nuts. Such a close finish.

The Super Mario RPG run was also pretty fun, and had some insane luck. Learned a few new things watching the Doki Doki Panic run.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:44 pm

I was definitely thinking of Brain Age. Not Scribblenauts.

Anyway, caught a lot that I wanted to see, but slept through some other stuff. I'll catch up on vods eventually!
we built our house of cards
but it feels like it's still ours...

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:49 pm

I missed most of AGDQ due to being at a different convention. Anyone have must-watch VOD recommendations???

X-3

Post by X-3 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:18 pm

Check out Sonic 1, Home Alone and the Phantom Menace, they're pretty fun runs.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:42 pm

Would highly recommend watching Super Metroid - Reverse Boss Order. The fact that that category is even possible is a wonder. The runner dies twice so the run technically isn't valid, but RBO is basically the least marathon-safe run that could possibly exist

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:54 pm

^ Seconded. That run was nuts.

Deepfake
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by Deepfake » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:01 am

Marilink wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:42 pm
Would highly recommend watching Super Metroid - Reverse Boss Order. The fact that that category is even possible is a wonder. The runner dies twice so the run technically isn't valid, but RBO is basically the least marathon-safe run that could possibly exist
I caught that recently and it was definitely worth a watch. I've seen TAS RBO before but that's nothing like a real person actually doing it.

The awful games block was brilliant this year, btw. Give it up for URBAN YETI AAAUUUUGGGHHHH.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:38 am

You want a GDQ fix? You like Super Mario All-Stars? You like four-way races? Try this **** out.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:47 pm

SGDQ is next week, from the 23rd to the 30th.

Check out the schedule here.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:45 am

It's too bad, there were a **** TON of huge discoveries in the Skyward Sword route that were discovered riiiight around when submissions were due. The route is like 2-3 hours shorter now or something insane like that, would've been cool to see all the new tech shown off, but I think the timing was just unfortunate.

Pretty much guaranteed to be at AGDQ unless there is something seriously wrong with their approval system.

Deepfake
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by Deepfake » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:04 am

Valigarmander wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:38 am
You want a GDQ fix? You like Super Mario All-Stars? You like four-way races? Try this **** out.

This made me want to speedrun SMB again. I was playing it last night and let me tell you, a 2DS's Dpad and buttons are not a perfect substitution for the NES.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:06 am

Won't be able to see it live because it's way past my bedtime, but I'm really interested in the Double Dash!! run. The estimate is 36:00 minutes and my (in-game) PB is something like a 32:30, so it probably only has a few minutes on me.

I've only watched bits of speedruns of it before, and so far those have all been faster by virtue of better drifting and a couple shortcuts I didn't know about. Hopefully that trend continues and it doesn't turn out that the difference is something silly like the MK64 run that practically skips several races. >_>

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:25 am

^ MK64 has a no-skip category too if you want to see people going as fast as they can without exploiting the game’s wonky lap mechanics! Glitchless categories sometimes have a harder time making it into GDQs though because of the Breaking The Game appeal, but there are plenty of vods on src if you want to check out a game but the GDQ category doesn’t appeal to you.

I think the routing aspect of heavily glitched runs is the most impressive part. Someone figured out how to manipulate MK64 to let you just skip half the races and figured out how to set up and implement it in real time. But it’s not always the most fun to watch (I like watching 100% runs of some games because it forces the player to actually play more of the game) and often not the most fun to play either so people come up with lots of good categories to show off the games.

Then you have great meme categories, like OoT 37 water temple keys. Or Tales of Symphonia doggo%. People **** on categories all the time “lololol why is that even a category” or “why would you run this just do any%” or “low%? what the hell is that?” but in some games just beating the game can be done so FAST and skipping so MUCH that it’s nice to have incentive to actually show off more of the game while you’re optimizing it.

(You’ll never see them in a marathon but I highly recommend checking out low% speedruns. They’re basically challenge runs and some of them get ridiculous.)

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:33 am

^I think there was a Super Metroid low% Ice race a few years ago, and that was amazing.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:02 am

I definitely prefer watching glitched runs in general, but for racing games specifically it kind feels like defeating the point of the game. I mean, it's already a race. Especially for racing games I've put a tremendous amount of time into, it's just a bit disheartening for their biggest stage to be one where people are totally ignoring the game's spirit. I talked about this at the meetup, but there's a Mirror's Edge run from a couple years ago that's near the top of the Youtube archive, for instance, and within the first few minutes they start flying on some invisible geometry. And it's cool that they found that bug, don't get me wrong, but the game is already fast and technical played as intended, and not even that much longer than the flying version.

I don't exactly resent glitched runs of racing games for being more popular, I just wish it didn't result in the exclusion of glitchless runs from big events.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:21 am

^yeah, I feel that. The only way a longer/glitch less/more niche category gets into an event like GDQ is if it’s a popular game that comes back from year to year—Super Metroid, OoT, SMB3, and the like.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:56 pm

No argument from me here. I’ve become somewhat of an insufferable hipster snob about GDQs since getting more invested in the speedrun community. I think the event is fantastic for publicity - runners who get in get an increased following, and the event itself is how I got into the hobby - and obviously raising money for charity is incredible. But I try to spread the good word of SRC whenever I can because in general the kinds of runs that GDQ is able to give a stage is in some ways limited.

They’ve got a formula for what raises the most money and I can’t hold that against them but also sometimes I want to watch 14 hour Persona 4 speedrun attempts. :p

I do disagree with glitched MK runs being against the spirit of the game considering it requires just as much technical talent to pull off the clips as it does to do it glitchless. But I can totally get behind wanting to actually see all the races, and apparently so can the community because the MK64 src page actually has the no skips category as their main front facing one.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:24 pm

^The spirit of the game is totally separate from whether something is difficult or not, though. The whole point of racing games is to go around a track quickly. If you find a way to skip most of the race with a course cut that by some loophole is not considered a cut, you've done something impressive and potentially difficult, but that's still blatantly against the spirit of the rules.

Anyway, the Portal 2 run was cool.

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”