If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

More useless video game trivia.

Moderator: X-3

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:56 am

And they say Mario doesn't have character
Join the VGF Discord server! https://discord.gg/pbSDTAZ

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:39 pm

Quake II is not a true sequel to the original Quake; in fact, was originally going to be a completely new IP. However, id Software was unable to acquire a trademark for any of their proposed titles (including "Strogg", "Lock and Load", and even just "Load"), so they got fed up and just named the game Quake II.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:29 pm

Metroid Fusion was made using a heavily-modified Wario Land 4 engine.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:35 pm

[QUOTE="Valigarmander, post: 1608197, member: 30663"]Metroid Fusion was made using a heavily-modified Wario Land 4 engine.[/QUOTE]
You know, I never would have guessed it myself, but now that you say it, there are certain things about how those games feel and move that are similar.
Carthago delendum est

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:51 pm

During the development for the Wii Zapper-based game that would eventually become Link's Crossbow Training, Miyamoto originally proposed having Link warp to the future, so he could use guns without them seeming out of place. Everyone else thought this was stupid and vetoed him.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:09 am

One time I actually agree with Miyamoto and he's shot down.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:01 am

In Tales of Symphonia, if you start a NG+ file and carry over titles from a previous playthrough in which you had a costume-changing title for Colette (swimsuit, maid costume, or fancy gown), you can have her - and other characters - wear these usually endgame skins at the beginning of the game. Because she has wings and is floating/flying in battle for pretty much the entirety of the game EXCEPT at the very beginning, they didn't bother animating these endgame skins for her early game pre-wing on-the-ground battle animations. So if you equip these costumes at the beginning of the game, in battle she'll appear to be floating, even though she doesn't have wings and shouldn't be able to fly yet.
~ * ~ a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved ~ * ~

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:16 am

The xylophone Mumbo Jumbo plays in the intro scene of Banjo-Kazooie can be seen in the background of Candy Kong's Music Shop in Donkey Kong 64.

Wicked Witch of the Crest

Post by Wicked Witch of the Crest » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:03 am

The "Boss" spells in Quest 64 don't have their own element. It all is considered Fire. What's ironic about this is that Fire itself is a pretty bad element to use for your own spells. On the other hand, it does beef up your best weapon, your Staff.
What's the matter, scared?

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:06 am

In StarCraft, if you wait at the briefing screen for the first Terran training mission for about 3 minutes after the text ends, a recipe for Chinese Lemon Chicken will scroll on screen.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:13 am

In Super Paper Mario, remember Captain Gills? The cute li'l fishie you dump in a waterway so he can grow big and strong, and so you can use his bowl as a rad space helmet?

Well, if you go back and visit him in later chapters, he gets bigger and bigger every time. At the endgame, you'll find he's (or more likely, she's) grown into a giant carniverous fishbeast with five cute li'l babbies.

[also, the babies are named Gills Jr., Gills II, Gills III, Gills IV, and Gills V.]

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:23 pm

Hideki Kamiya, voice actor of Godot in Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations, actually hates coffee.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:39 pm

Duke Nukem 3D was the first 3D game to feature functioning mirrors.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:38 am

The timer (or temperature gauge) in the Area 4 escape sequence in Another Metroid 2 Remake is actually tied to your movement through the escape route, and will always fill up just as you're at the heavy bulkhead doors at the end.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:49 am

[QUOTE="Valigarmander, post: 1610071, member: 30663"]The timer (or temperature gauge) in the Area 4 escape sequence in Another Metroid 2 Remake is actually tied to your movement through the escape route, and will always fill up just as you're at the heavy bulkhead doors at the end.[/QUOTE]
I had my suspicions about that, actually. Nice to see what I had thought confirmed.
Carthago delendum est

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:57 pm

According to Archie Comics (at least before the reboot), Sonic the Hedgehog's real name was supposed to be "Ogilvie Maurice Hedgehog".

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:13 am

Tingle in The Wind Waker and Ganondorf in Twilight Princess share the same voice actor.

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:50 pm

[QUOTE="Valighoulmander, post: 1610071, member: 30663"]The timer (or temperature gauge) in the Area 4 escape sequence in Another Metroid 2 Remake is actually tied to your movement through the escape route, and will always fill up just as you're at the heavy bulkhead doors at the end.[/QUOTE]

The lava chase scene in Paper Mario does a similar thing; assuming you're not dawdling too hard for the exit, it looks to be rising at a steady pace, so I always assumed it could catch up to you if you **** around too much..... but turns out if you stop running or take too long, it just waits for you. Kind of killed the feeling of urgency when I figured that one out.

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:29 am

The layout of the first six dungeons in BS The Legend of Zelda spell out "St.GIGA" in reference to the satellite radio company that broadcast the game. The layout of the Second Quest dungeons spell out "Nintendo".

Valigarmander
Supermod

Post by Valigarmander » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:17 am

During the boss battle with the Cyclops in the third stage of Castlevania III, you may notice lightning striking in the background. If you hurl a dagger and it is struck by lightning, the dagger will become energized and deal extra damage against the boss.

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”