If you previously registered on VGF XenForo boards, you will need to use the forgot password feature in order to be able to post here. If you do not receive a password reset by e-mail, use the contact page or post in registration/login help.

What sport events would you most like to attend?

Moderator: March

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

What sport events would you most like to attend?

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:22 am

What sport events would you most like to see in person... even if were just the once?

Here's a list to help you decide... although, you can always choose something different...

Hockey World Cup | India | December 1 - 16, 2018
Started in 1971, the tournament is played every four years. The tournament, till now, has been dominated by Pakistan (4 titles) followed by Australia and Netherlands (3 titles each).

FIS Alpine Ski World Cup | Solden, Austria & St. Moritz, Switzerland | October 24, 2015 - March 20, 2016
The top international competition requires competitors to ski at a high level in several disciplines. The races are held at various ski resorts in different parts of the globe including Europe, Canada, the United States and Japan.

Rip Curl Pro | Victoria, Australia | March 23 – April 3, 2016
Formerly the Bells Beach Surf Classic, The Rip Curl Pro is a WSL World Tour surfing competition held at Bells Beach, in Victoria, Australia. The event winner is awarded the prestigious 'Bell' trophy, and the song "Hells Bells" by AC/DC is played every morning before the start of the first competition.
Grand Sumo tournament | Japan | Throughout the year
There are six Grand Sumo tournaments in Japan each year with each one lasting 15 days. The best wrestlers are scheduled to compete at the end of the day, and pairings are made and posted by sumo elder judges each day prior to competition. However, if competitors come from the same training group, or if they are brothers, they are not allowed to wrestle one another.
Tour de France | Netherlands | July 4 - 26, 2015
First organized in 1903 to increase the paper sales for the magazine L’Auto, the Tour de France has expanded its base and stature with each passing year. The 2015 race will start in Utrecht, Netherlands, and will consist of 21 stages spread over a distance of 2,087 miles (3,358 kilometers).

Bathurst 1000 | Mount Panorama | October 8 - 11, 2015
Australia's most popular motor racing event sees touring cars race the famous Mount Panorama circuit over a total of 1000km. Peter Brock won it a record nine times.

NBA Finals | June (likely), 2016

The NBA's championship series is played between the winners of the Western Conference Finals and the Eastern Conference Finals. Over the course of its history, the finals have showcased legendary talent like Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and Shaquille O'Neal. The winners take home a substantial chunk of the allotted playoff pool of $14 million in addition to the Larry O’Brien Trophy.

Super Bowl | Levi's Stadium, USA | February 7, 2016
The Super Bowl, the game that decides the NFL championship, is played annually between the AFC and NFC champions. First held in 1967, the game is one of the most followed events in the United States. In 2015, Super Bowl XLIX attracted a viewership of over 114.4 million people, making it one of the most watched television programs in the history of the United States.
Liverpool vs. Manchester United | Across the world | Recurring event
Considered to be one of the greatest football rivalries in the world, the clash between the two teams has been dubbed as the most high-profile grudge match of the premier league season. The two clubs are the most successful sides in Europe and also enjoy an unprecedented fan following from around the globe. The rivalry gets even more intense whenever the two sides meet at Manchester United’s home ground, the Old Trafford.

Stanley Cup | June (likely), 2016
The Stanley Cup is awarded to the winner of the best-of-seven series played between the champions of Eastern and Western Conferences. The series has been in existence since 1893 and the Montreal Canadiens lead the pack with 24 victories.

Daytona 500 | Daytona Beach, Florida, USA | February 21, 2016
Regarded as the most important and prestigious race on the NASCAR calendar, the Daytona 500 has received the highest U.S. television ratings for any auto race of the year. Owing to its importance, the 500-lap race is hailed as the “Great American Race” or the “Super Bowl of Stock Car Racing."

The Masters | Augusta, Georgia, USA | April 7 - 10, 2016
Held every year at the Augusta National Golf Club in Georgia, the tournament features the best from the golfers in the world in a beautiful setting. One of the richest tournaments on the PGA tour, the 2015 title holder, Jordan Spieth, went home with $1.6 million.

Melbourne Cup | Flemington Racecourse | November 3, 2015
Known as "the race that stops the nation", Australia's most prestigious horse race, it was first held in 1861

Red Sox vs. Yankees | USA | Throughout the year

The rivalry between the Red Sox and the Yankees is fierce. In 1919, Red Sox owner, Harry Frazee, paved the way for his team’s driest World Series spell, 86-long-years, when he sold his star player, Babe Ruth, to the Yankees. The transfer and the subsequent streak of defeats led to the popular belief which came to be known as the “Curse of the Bambino."
AFL Grand Final | Melbourne | October 3, 2015
Hawthorn have won the past two grand finals, can they make it three-in-a-row?

Winter X Games | Aspen, Colorado, USA | January 28 - 31, 2016

The summer and winter event that focuses on extreme sports began in 1995 in the United States and has spawned X Game competitions in Asia and Europe. In 2014, the summer event was held in Austin, Texas, and was attended by a 160,000 people. The last edition saw 200 of the world’s best athletes take part in events like BMX Freestyle, Moto X, Rally Car and Skateboard.

French Open | Stade Roland Garros, France | May 22 - June 5, 2016
The premier tennis event is one of the four Grand Slam tournaments, also known as the Majors. The slow clay surface that favors players who can win long rallies from the baseline has made the French Open one of the most physically demanding tennis tournaments on the ATP and WTA calendars.

Birdsville Races | Birdsville, Queensland | September 4 - 5, 2015

The annual races, held in the remote town of Birdsville (some 1500km west of Brisbane) raise money for the Flying Doctors.

All Blacks Rugby Game | Across the world | Throughout the year

The All Blacks, New Zealand's rugby team, have emerged as a force to be reckoned with in the world of rugby with a winning record against all national teams. The All Blacks currently hold the World Cup and the best record with 330 wins out of 443 matches. The team is also popular for performing the traditional Haka dance before the start of every match.

Argentine Polo Open Championship | Campo Argentino de Polo, Argentina | November 14 - December 05, 2015
In existence since 1893, the championship has earned the reputation of being one of the primere polo events on the international calendar. The event, organized in the mecca of Polo, is known for producing some of the finest polo players – often referred to as "hired assassins" – and ponies that are bred for speed, agility and stamina.

Heavyweight Title fight | Madison Square Garden, USA | Recurring event
The Garden has hosted some of the greatest heavyweight championship bouts and over fifty world title bouts. The iconic venue, once considered to be the mecca of boxing, has been graced by the likes of Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, Joe Louis, Sugar Ray Robinson and Henry Armstrong. In 1971, the venue hosted the famous “Fight of the Century” between Joe Frazier and Muhammad Ali. While promoters have taken many of the big fights to Las Vegas, there's still nothing like a fight at the Garden.

La Liga | Spain | August 15, 2015 - May 15, 2016

La Liga, the most popular professional sports league in the world, is famous for its legendary players like Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi and Neymar and it iconic clubs including Barcelona and Real Madrid. An unbeatable combination of compelling rivalries, a long history and the best players have made the league great.

Cricket World Cup | England and Wales | May 30 - July 15, 2019
One of the world’s most viewed sporting events in the world, the ICC Cricket World Cup, has been held every four years since 1975 and features ten full test-playing members and other ICC affiliated teams. In the last 11 editions, Australia has lead the table with five titles followed by West Indies and India who have won the title two times each.

State of Origin | Brisbane and Sydney | June/July
Australia's answer to the Super Bowl, this annual three-game rugby league series see players fight for the glory of the state they first played professional rugby league

24 Hours of Le Mans | Circuit de la Sarthe, France | June 18 - 19, 2016

The event – held annually in the French city of Le Mans since 1923 – is one spectacle that should be on the travel itinerary of every car racing enthusiast. The unique format requires that the cars race non-stop for 24 hours, making it one of the most demanding car rallies on the planet.
And a few more:
http://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/more-spo ... s-AAciPzv?

:D
She lives in the clouds and talks to the birds...

Happiest faerie of VGF.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:57 am

A Cardinals-Yankees World Series game.
An Olympic event (one of the good ones, not like ballroom dancing or something).
Any Women's World Cup game.

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:21 pm

NBA final or Bathurst 1000. And any Olympic event like sprinting or swimming.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:52 am

Any WC game, Women's or Men's.

That's about it, really...
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:45 pm

(I want to know why I can chose to see all 380 games in La Liga but only get the two annual Liverpool-United games from the EPL. That hasn't even been the biggest match in ages. :mad: )

In the US, I'd love to go to a Stanley Cup game if the Blackhawks were in it or a World Series game if the White Sox were in it, but the latter looks unlikely to ever happen again. Wouldn't mind seeing one of the Triple Crown races, either.

Elsewhere, I've got a life goal to see Chelsea at Stamford Bridge at least once, but I'd happily take any major tournaments (W/MWC, UCL, etc) or other top flight teams as well. There are a lot of "classic" events in sports I don't care about (Wimbledon, Monaco, anything Olympics, etc) I'd probably go to just for the spectacle.

Swordmaster Link

Post by Swordmaster Link » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:18 pm

I would love to go to a World Cup game. I'm not big on soccer but the atmosphere is amazing, even for not-so-buzzworthy events like an MLS game.

Also, it's a life goal of mine to attend a Wimbledon final.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:15 pm

Out of those, the sumo one, I guess. Maybe boxing...but I dunno. UFC if I could choose, that'd be neat. If eSports count, then EVO for sure.

Oh and maybe arm wrestling competitions. Saw a cool documentary about pros once, was cool, and there's that awesome Stallone movie about it.

Gumchum

Post by Gumchum » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:05 pm

[MEDIA=youtube]T1vDF0hSfoA[/MEDIA]
Would have loved to be there for that.

Return to “Sports & Fitness”