31 Days of Games You Might Be Interested In

Moderator: X-3

smol Kat

Re: 31 Days of Games You Might Be Interested In

Post by smol Kat » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:40 pm

The Grimrock games were fun! Also, I watched Yogscast Simon play Clustertruck and had much more fun watching it than I probably would playing it. But still, BEST EVER
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:21 pm

Day 11: Chibi-Robo

Perfect For:
- Toy Story Fans
- If you like open world games but not the combat part of open world games.
- When you just got out of work and decide that you would like to do more work as a small robot.

What You Need: A Gamecube or a Region-Free Wii.

Someone has to do the dirty work that most can't do. After all, a sanitation worker is no good if they throw up at every job they go to. Same for plumbers that can't touch the gunk in your pipes, or a fire fighter tramatized by fire. That's why these jobs get taken by people that can handle it. Eventually, someone has to step up for it, and why not the people that can deal with the worst of it? After all, it's not like you can get a machine to solve all your problems for you? Right...?

KNOWING SMILE ACTIVATE.

The Sandersons have bought a small housekeeping robot for their daughter Jenny. Despite their money issues making a purchase like this unwise, Chibi-Robo and its companion Telly Vision are here to clean up dirt, dispose of trash, and occasionally recharge at a wall outlet. Doing this gets Moolah used to buy items that will help in keeping the house tidy. However, things aren't as simple as all that with toys all over the place that will come to life and interact with Chibi-Robo. Some are friendly while others are... not to put it lightly. Everything in this game will slowly drain Chibi-Robo's battery as will getting hit and losing it all results in losing half of your Moolah so while there is no dead end state, you should avoid keeling over if you can. There is also a day night cycle to keep in mind as some people and events are only available at one time or another and as a robot you don't sleep. You will eventually be given a goal and the chance to achieve it but that's a spoiler so for now take it from me. With the other games the developers of this one being limited to Japan only, this is the best you're going to get unless you want the very different portable games. That feeling when you know Captain Rainbow will never be recognized in the west. It hurts man...

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:09 am

Day 12: The Misadventures of Tron Bonne

Perfect For:
- That sibling of yours that likes villains more than heroes
- If you cried about Megaman being dead and got burned by Mighty No. 9
- Pirates looking for a little extra cash. I won't call the cops I promise.

What You Need: Pick any Playstation and chances are that you'll find some way to play this one.

Crime pays and it's time to stop pretending the opposite is true. You get loads of money... and then lose it when you get arrested. But before that moment you're riding high and that was certainly the case with piracy. Sure, most pirates never got to spend their ill gotten gains but that's besides the point and the same can be said for this whole intro. So, when Megaman Legends came out a lot of interest was put onto the one villain that was a girl, that being Tron Bonne. She fell in love with Megaman, much to her own dismay, and as a result the two had something of a rivalry. Which is important because they gave her a game to hype up Megaman Legends 2. Did that work? Probably not, but hey three Legends games are better than two, right?

After following a phony map, Tron's brothers are captured by Glyde and Mr. Loath. It turns out he loaned the Bonnes money to build their flying ship and he wants it back. If Tron can't pay that 1 million zenny loan, she'll never see her brothers again. So she goes about getting that money by any means possible. As one would expect, this is the sort of game with many different game modes made to expand one's wallet. All of it is tied into what you get Tron's servants... I mean Servbots... to do be it R&D, making food, fight with you, and you can even assign a favorite. Using this you can get different personality types that help with certain tasks which is imperative because while Tron can upgrade her own mech, you will need capable soldiers to make these tasks easier. You'll have to explore dungeons in first person, solve movement puzzles to get cargo, and beat up the cops on your way to wherever the bank is. There are a few other ways to go about getting the money aside from that, however you can only beat each stage once aside from the Nakkai Ruins which can be cleared multiple times if need be, so to avoid grinding make sure you use the money you get wisely. It's not an overly difficult game, but you will have to do quite a bit before you see the ending. Work hard, and be a big scumbag so you can hopefully see your siblings. See, everyone has a reason for their actions even if the ends may not justify the means.

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:12 am

Day 13: Penumbra Series

Perfect For:
- That time of year when someone watches both The Thing movies.
- If you REALLY liked Amnesia: The Dark Descent
- Long dark nights at a research facility with someone over your shoulder making fun of you the entire time.

What You Need: A Computer, yes?

Sometimes it helps to look into the past. Or at least, look at the beginning of something. Before Amnesia: The Dark Descent, horror games were at a low point with Resident Evil 4 directing most horror games to be more physical and action-packed. This resulted in less scares and more violence. Some managed to do this with style and grace and made a better game, but most floundered and people were desperately looking for a return to form. That's what Amnesia did, giving you invulnerable monsters, puzzles to solve, and a sanity meter to deal with. It reimagined the boundaries of horror and gave other developers more to work with. While it is important to note that Amnesia was then followed up by SOMA, it is also important to go back as there are at least three games made before Amnesia that are worth looking into: the Penumbra games. These are Overture, Black Plague, and Requiem.

After receiving a letter from his father, Philip hurries over to Northern Greenland to find him since he left Philip's family when he was young. He ends up going into a mine to stay warm and the entrance collapses behind him. What follows is scares, despair, and psychosis to put it all lightly. As this is technically a proto-Amnesia most of the ideas are here. You're bad at fighting most of the enemies here and die quickly, most of the game centers on puzzles and dealing with your own special brand of madness. So it's simple to understand but getting through it is another thing entirely. As you might guess there are enemies and they are a pain. Unlike Amnesia, you have a melee weapon most of the time but fights are still undecided and you might still have to run before you die. However, if you're looking for more of that Amnesia style and don't mind some steps backwards to get it, these three games are perfect. They're not better, definitely not, but it does what it's meant to achieve and that's what really counts in this instance. Frictional Games won't bite. They haven't done that to anyone before now.

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:16 am

Day 14: Oniken

Perfect For:
- The acquaintence that probably likes Hokuto No Ken but you're not entirely sure.
- Your sister that always picks Strider Hiryu in fighting games.
- If you have a deadly glare that travels across airwaves and kills instantly.

What You Need: A Computer

Cliched plotlines exist for a reason. For instance, kidnapping works as a plot device as it's a good way to establish villainy and give a character reason to pursue someone and constantly be in a hurry. Spy movies always have the main character meet with the villain to establish said villain and flesh them out without an out of place exposition. In that same way, post-apocalyptic settings are used to get rid of the many things that would stop action scenes in the real world like reliable police and lengthy jail sentences. Rebellion stories and murderous super soldiers... these and more set the baseline for NES styled game Oniken, and it's probably more extreme than any game that will ever be on that system if only because it has a guy's face explode.

Licking its wounds after a global war, the remaining people of Earth are subjugated by the cyborg group Oniken. With even the resistance being obliterated, General Zhukov asks for the help of the one man that could possibly stand a chance: Zaki the ninja mercenary. So now he goes from stage to stage stomping out the Oniken in this world based on hell as he has a sword and knows how to use it. Oniken is inspired by Strider but... more like the NES version and without the hub in that game. You slash enemies to defeat them and get power ups to help you along the way plus a supply of grenades you throw in an arc to hit annoying machines above you. But if that's not enough you can sacrifice your powerup for a "Berserk Mode" that will render you invincible for a few seconds and when used well can turn any battle in your favor. There are cutscenes all up in this game but it's never a bother and I doubt you'll hate this simple plotline unless you hate fun. So between you and me, you could use a bit of the ultraviolence. Prescribed and all.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:30 am

Oniken seems neat, too bad it is PC exclusive.

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:16 pm

^ Well, unless your computer runs like absolute ass it should be able to run Oniken of all things. I don't think I'm wrong...
--------------------------------
Day 15: Radiant Historia

Perfect For:
- Your history teacher that's seen all that Tolkien like stuff and hates it.
- If you're played a ton of RPGs and want something new.
- That one friend that makes bad decisions all the time, both funny and disconcerting.

What You Need: A DS or 3DS

You know what's annoying? Decisions that alter what you do in a game. Especially if you go through different missions and fight different people as a result of your choice. That's because getting everything in the game now requires TWO playthroughs. But what, are you going to play a game with no choices? That's silly. You want an RPG and don't argue with me. So... what game can we find that gives you choice AND lets you play the entire game without needed to play the game multiple times? Hmmmm... Hmmm :confused: mmmmm:confused::confused:mm.

Stocke is a spy for his kingdom currently in a war with the enemy as a result of some plague turning everything and everyone into sand. For this mission he's given two party members and a book called the "White Chronicle". The mission goes south and everyone but Stocke gets killed. It seems all hope is lost when Stocke is pulled into the Chronicle and told by the two inside that he can alter events to change the fate of the world by moving along the timeline. As such there are various ways to get a bad ending which you can use for the future. Got stuck at a certain point? Go to a past point in time and see if there's something you missed! You can also check on certain splits in time to gain more knowledge about a situation without loading to a previous state and trying again. However, while that may be the biggest sell for this game, the battle system has depth to it as well, being a turn based RPG on a grid. Unlike other games, attacks are queued on your turn, not completed. Once all attacks are made, they play out all at once with the position on the grid determining the power and defense of any unit. With the addition of pushing units into traps and messing up the turn order in return for a loss of defense, there are many ways to keep fights in your favor if you need them. Go at your own pace or be a completionist, it's up to you. Plus there's a remake coming out on the 3DS so you have every reason to go looking for it now.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:43 pm

I've tried to get into it a few times and it's never quite clicked. Maybe the remake will change that.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:15 am

^^ I just don't like playing on PC, but that's good to know.

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:03 pm

Day 16: Rock of Ages 2: Bigger and Boulder

Perfect For:
- That one guy that thinks games are not art.
- If competitive Katamari Damacy mixed with tower defense was just what you need.
- Those times when you wish to quit history by smashing it's figures flat

What You Need: PS4, Xbox One, and PC

For years the sphere has proven itself the deadliest of shapes. Sure, the cone makes spears, and cylinders make bullets, but spheres make cannonballs which are pretty much just giant guns so CHECKMATE. Also, you can make it deadly just by rolling it downhill so DOUBLE CHECKMATE. Imagine flattening wicked and evil tyrants that deserve to die like your waifu. Why, we'd have solved every problem that could possibly exist in the world including things that are completely unrelated like who keePS MOVING MY CHAIR INTO THE HALLWAY?! THAT'S NOT WHERE IT GOES, MARLENE!!! So... Let's do that.

Atlas has had enough of holding the world up and wants to hang out with his boulder friend instead. Unfortunately, God was in the middle of something very important and can't be dealing with all this right now, so now Atlas must fight for his right to relax or something like that. If you're up to the task then you have a two phased game on your hands. First phase is the setting up of defenses. You have some gold and several building types and they are quite effective, regardless of how silly they are. You also have rocks with a variety of gimmicks attached to each one including some cube, a mound of flesh and a bomb. They are for the second phase during which you must roll said rock into the opponent's main gate while avoiding any defense they have set up as rocks CAN be destroyed or weakened. The first person to break through the main gate and smash their opponent is the winner of the contest. That's all there is to it really, but the strategy and sheer chaos that can ensue from a game like might be unfathomable without seeing Rock of Ages 2 in action. Plus, with so many art styles represented you're bound to find someone standing around that you'd like to represent yourself. Just be sure to treat your rock with care. You never know when God will spot you.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:40 pm

Monty Python's Battlefield Bowling, basically. Great way to spend an afternoon.

Shane
Administrator

Post by Shane » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:08 pm

With a Xbox controller or Xpadder, you can turn most PC games into a similar experience to console.
Now I know there's a reason you shouldn't blame others when you do something wrong, and that reason is: you might get caught and have to apologize to a bunch of dumb peasants.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:14 pm

DS4 has native support for a lot of Steam games as well. DS4Windows generally covers any exceptions.

smol Kat

Post by smol Kat » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:16 pm

well that's one more person telling me to play Radiant Historia. I should really get on that.
Do you know how much you mean to me
Why must you leave~?

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:03 pm

;)

Day 17: Waku Waku 7

Perfect For:
- Weeaboos and Otaku
- If you're too casual for tournaments but too hardcore for your friends to face
- That strangely growing group of people that like Dragon Ball but hate the characters in Dragon Ball

What You Need: An arcade machine, Neo Geo, Sega Saturn, or Nintendo Switch

Ah, anime. Usually adaptations of Manga made in Japan, it encompasses all animation in said country, but elsewhere it's the term for Japanese animation and anything that uses the same art style. Over the years, it's obviously gotten some cliches attached to it, happens to the best of us. But that is because these cliches work on their audiences. Also... it allows for parodies to use these cliches for their own benefit. Nowadays, half of the stereotypes used in Waku Waku 7 aren't as biting as they once were but I'm sure in some way you can appreciate it.

There are seven Wheenisian Balls with the power to grant any wish. Also, finding one fills you with the desire to get all the other balls, so you know there's nothing that can be done about figuring things out peacefully. Each character is a parody of something but not like "wink at the camera" kind of parody. It works in its own context without trying to live off the contemporary. The graphics also look amazing, especially for the late nineties, and it does a lot to grab your attention. As for the game itself it's a good 2d fighting game, there's no super strange to control characters, everyone has a few specials to play with. But there are mechanics to keep the pace going. There's a command purely to hit someone on the ground and a series of movements to quickly get off said ground so you're not hit. There's also a "Harahara" special with a long wind-up time, but is completely unblockable, so it's perfect if you have someone in a stun animation. Finally, you have SEVEN bars of special to play with if you so wish meaning you can get as crazy as you want to and despite what some might see as a small pool of characters, they all have their charms. Even if you don't have a friend to play with, there is an arcade mode that provides enough entertainment that you won't feel like it was a waste. But, if you're a fan of fighting games, you should probably know about this already. That means, if you didn't know... well, here's your chance to learn about the past. History class has never been so fun!

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:11 am

Day 18: Mark of Kri and Rise of the Kasai

Perfect For:
- Anyone that likes Disney Films but also horrible bloody murder.
- If you like stealth games but also action games.
- An adult that can't play video games very well

What You Need: Primarily PS2

Mature doesn't necessarily mean complicated. After all, blockbuster films don't try to hammer on the narrative but become successful regardless, AND I DON'T MEAN BAD ONES SHUT UP. So we have here a game that centers on doing whatever you see fit to face the evils of the world and stop them from controlling the planet. And anyone can do it! Just ask your gran.

Rau is caught up in the evils of the Kasai who wish to unite the Marks of Kri, which are tattoos on your skin or somesuch, and control pretty much everything. Therefore it is up to Rau and his training to stop it all. While Rise of the Kasai is a decent improvement over Mark of Kri, the latter even adding a non-bothersome A.I. companion, both games are similar enough and it IS a complete story so you'd be remiss to get one and not the other. Stealth and combat are simple as attacks use all four face buttons. This is because in order to target enemies you use the right stick to find what face button corresponds to a certain grunt. It not only allows for easy stealth kills when you're not spotted but IN combat this is used to allow quick movement between enemies. There's combos, the ability to scout ahead for enemies and arrows if you so choose to use them. However, no matter what the game never feels like it's lacking even when you're trying to stay in stealth. The art style is unique, the levels keep the pace up and it's an underrated game series that got an actual conclusion, so go look into it! Sometimes you just need a good ending to feel good about the day.

Booyakasha
Supermod

Post by Booyakasha » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:36 am

'Mark of Kri' is super rad. Like Disney made their own version of 'Conan the Barbarian' (complete with Mako-sounding narrator). Has one of my favourite combat systems---------I want to see more action games that play like this, and 'Legend of Kay', and 'Kingdoms of Amalur'.

Haven't played the sequel. They made it co-op, with a human or AI partner. I like single-player, dangit.
boo----------------the furious little monkey

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:06 am

I've tried a bit of the PS4 port of Rise of Kasai. Haven't gone back to it because the controls/camera have not aged well, but I probably will eventually. Seemed cool.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:49 am

That game always gave off a cheap, bargain bin feel. Doesn't seem bad, not even mediocre, just...not particularly good.

New! Tazy Ten

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:51 pm

It's certainly better than "cheap bargain bin". You can trust me on that.

Day 19: Jumping Flash 1 and 2

Perfect For:
- Rabbit Affectionados
- Your father that always brings up how platforming can't be done right in first person, making dinner awkward for everyone.
- Javier Sotomayor, current holder of the Men's High Jump World Record

What You Need: A Playstation 1.

They said it couldn't be done! ...That's probably because whenever someone tries platforming in a first person game it ends poorly, unless your name is Faith or Chell maybe. But back when 3d was just getting off the ground and Lara Croft hadn't lost all credibility to her name someone had made an attempt to offset the issues of platforming in a 3d World. The answer was going into first person and being a rabbit. Good job, Exact. I wonder what you do no- Oh, you merged with Sony in 2000... well, play to your strengths I guess.

Robbit, enforcer for Intergalactic City Hall is on the job to save the galaxy from evildoers trying to snatch planet pieces for their own goals. And for a small rabbit robot Robbit is armed to the teeth with lasers, deadly stomping feet, and the ability to take fireworks from the environment and use them to kill anything and everything. There are a number of stages to beat and for each one you need four of a certain item to progress and you do this by jumping all around shooting enemies and getting deadly projectiles. How does the game do this in first person? Well it encourages you use your high jump to your advantage along with the fact that you can triple jump. On top of that, after the first jump the camera looks down automatically to make landing much easier than it would if you had to do it yourself and it's a slow look down meaning you won't get disoriented as you move along. There's a lot of variance in the levels and while the bosses aren't going to win any awards they do enough to keep up the pace of the game. So get both if you can. Otherwise, go get the first one and hop to victory!

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”