Your video game regrets/shames.

Moderator: X-3

Valigarmander
Supermod

Your video game regrets/shames.

Post by Valigarmander » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:38 am

I've never beaten the second quest in either Super Mario Bros. or The Legend of Zelda.

I've never beaten Zelda II without cheesing the final battle by crouching in the corner and stabbing Dark Link when he approaches.

I've made it to the final dungeon in Final Fantasy IV but have never beaten the game.

I've never gotten a megalopolis in the SNES version of SimCity (and thus I've never gotten that cool Mario statue).

I've made it to the final boss in Sonic 3 & Knuckles but have never beaten the game.

I've never made it to Wizpig in Diddy Kong Racing.

I made it to just before Archades in Final Fantasy XII, but lost interest and never made it any further (then someone sold my copy of the game).

I am nobody

Re: Your video game regrets/shames.

Post by I am nobody » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:59 am

It sounds like I got to exactly the same point in FFXII as you, but I'm not ashamed of that, because Archades is also where I realized that FFXII just fundamentally isn't a very good game. The trading quest it makes you do with a dozen nondescript NPCs as soon as you get there was what finally killed it for me.

- I haven't finished FFIV or VI despite getting to just before the final dungeon. There's a grind wall there, and I spent several years telling myself I was totally going to go back and get over it only to lose the save files. But it's even worse than that, because I did that twice with FFVI. >_<

- I've purchased just about every notable PS1 RPG on PSN over the last seven years of sales. I've finished exactly two of them (FFVIII and IX), and I don't think I even made it out of the first dungeon in anything else besides FFVII and Threads of Fate. Also, I finished FFVIII and IX on Steam, so I haven't actually beaten any of them on PSN.

- Despite finishing it four times, I've never gotten max social links in P3P, but I have gotten 199/200 twice. Meanwhile, I've finished P4G three times, and the best I did was 216/220. Who knew that you couldn't advance one of the new links after about the 75% mark? Not me!

- The first game I ever played was Link's Awakening on a GameBoy Pocket. The cart battery is miraculously still alive, but I've yet to get past Eagle's Tower.

Marilink
Supermod

Post by Marilink » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:18 am

-I really dislike the storyline decisions they made with Chrono Cross, but I have yet to actually play that game.

-I’ve never played a Final Fantasy game past VI for more than an hour or two. I own VII on Steam but just cannot get into it.

-I got fairly far in the DS FFIII, but saved in a dungeon while under leveled and trapped myself behind a seemingly-insurmountable grind wall. Never went back to it since.

-I’ve never beaten NES Metroid because I’m actually pretty convinced it’s not a good game. Still not proud of it though. Maybe I’ll go back to it eventually.

-I didn’t have the patience for GBC Shantae. I’ll probably try again in the future.

-My cart of Bowser’s Inside Story was still in my DS Phat when it went the way of all flesh, and I think I threw it away with the console. :(

-Despite enjoying many Xbox and PS games, I’ve never owned a console outside of the Nintendo family. I’m not really ashamed of that, because Nintendo has what I love, but I know I’m missing out on some great experiences.

-My biggest one: I’ve never beaten Secret of Mana, despite starting it probably half a dozen times.

I REALLY HATE POKEMON!

Post by I REALLY HATE POKEMON! » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:44 am

Regret:

Getting into multiplayer games with a competitive mindset (it's stressful instead of fun).

Not taking better care of my childhood gaming stuff.

Shame:

DBZ Dokkan Battle microtransactions (my friend is addicted too and he wants another person to play with, so he randomly hooks me up with Google Play gift cards...but it's still obscene even if I didn't really put much in).

Using games as an escape for the last 18 years of my life and counting.

Random User

Post by Random User » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:22 pm

I can't find the motivation to slog through the final half of Bravely Default, but I don't wanna start Bravely Second until I finish the first game.

DarkZero
Supporter

Post by DarkZero » Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:27 pm

i have a lot of games i got as presents / bought on a whim that i haven't played yet. some of them i've had for 5+ years now, and a lot of them are games i know are good and i would probably like, but i'm just too afraid of committing to new games

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:38 pm

golf story was legit the first game i've actually beaten in about five years at least, any %

i rarely play through games at all and like dz there are still some i haven't touched (I'M SORRY FALLOUT 4 MAYBE ONE DAY)

Apollo the Just

Post by Apollo the Just » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:04 pm

I'm a bit ashamed that I bought this bad-looking El Tigre platformer after I finished marathoning the series and felt empty inside. I thought it would fill the void. It didn't.

(I still haven't actually played it, either.)

Return to “General Gaming - Ten Hut!”