SMASH ON SWITCH

Moderator: CaptHayfever

Auron

Re: SMASH ON SWITCH

Post by Auron » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:50 pm

Persona 5 was the first Persona game to not have the Shin Megami Tensei name attached to the title, so I would assume that any of those characters at least are, in fact, original.

Marilincarnation
Supermod
Location: What if we die and it turns out God is a big CHICKEN?? What then?!

Post by Marilincarnation » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:39 pm

Sooo when y’all wanna do our first tournament?

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:53 pm

Panny's FC: sw-49851-7447-4016

i don't have online yet and might wait until next pay period (so in two weeks) but i'm game for a tournament even though i'm bad

this game RULES though

MeowMan

Post by MeowMan » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:28 pm

i wonder if nintendo & sakurai consider visual novels to be video games. the more i think about it, the more i want one of the servants from fate/stay night as a fighter. i really doubt that it will ever happen, but since piranha plant and joker got in, i guess anything is possible

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:35 am

Hit up Target on my way home from work. Got $5 with my reservation card. Did a ton of updates. Starting spirit: Leon Belmont.

Guys, I don't know why I didn't know this, but Link's side-smash shoots sword beams when he's at 0% damage. I sword-beamed a soccer ball from across the gap on Bridge of Eldin & killed Samus with it. This may be the greatest game ever made.

Challengers so far: Ness, Zelda, Bowser, Pit, Inkling, Villager, Marth (lost), Young Link*. Plus I went ahead & pounded out some guest Miis to get those slots on the character-select screen. (Seriously, though, I feel like the CPU is way "smarter" with swordsmen; it's kinda ridiculous.)

*At this point, I start to realize that this was the same order the unlocks happened at the tournament last night. I do some research, & sure enough, there is an official unlock order for Versus mode; it's not random after all. Likewise, here's the Classic unlock sequence. And here's an incomplete World of Light unlock map. (Luigi's been relegated to the post-game of WoL, & he's a hefty way through each of the other two sequences as well. I am not pleased.)

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Calamity Panfan
Location: if a lot of people love each other the world would be a better place to live

Post by Calamity Panfan » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:07 am

I've been going between Smash mode, Classic Mode and World of Light so I've unlocked a few people in each way.

Currently have: Dark Samus, Olimar, Marth, Zelda, Ice Climbers, Jigglypuff, Capt. Falcon, Ness, Village, WIi Fit Trainer, Pac-Man, Robin, Cloud, Inkling and Incineroar. Killed myself against Pit and Young Link, there was some edge-hogging bulls*** that happened in my match against Wario.

Trying to spend as much time with the new characters (and the DLC characters from Smash 4 because I didn't buy any last time around) when I'm just doing normal Smash. I LOVE both Inkling and Incineroar. Both will probably enter my main rotation (especially while I wait for my darling Lucas to get unlocked). I also completely understand why Cloud was S-Tier in SSB4.

I'd love to hear what hardcores think but as a casual Smash player this is EXACTLY what I want from a Smash Bros. game. Everything just seems boundless and there are so many options and things to do. I was kinda underwhelmed by SSB4 when it came out even though I liked the changes in combat that they made from Brawl. This takes that combat and smooths it out more AND has all the variety of single player modes that made me put so many hours into Brawl.

I really love how much thought they put into all the Classic mode maps, like referencing Cloud's motion sickness for his or having Wii Fit Trainer work against fighters who love to eat.

Even more I love the sheer insanity of how they did the spirits, having the playable fighters take on the would-be fighter styles of other characters that aren't playable. A lot of clever stuff. So many little details. I love this game.

Edit: did not notice that you can challenge new fighters that you lost to. So I got Bowser, Wario, Pit and Young Link real quick. Also added Capt. Falcon, Peach, Ryu, Ike, K. Rool, Simon

Marilincarnation
Supermod

Post by Marilincarnation » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:23 am

I’m really enjoying the breadth of single-player content in this game. I guess I’d be considered a “hardcore” player and I’ve won tournaments and stuff, but the joy of just sitting on my couch and seeing how each character’s classic mode is configured is awesome. And I haven’t even started World of Light yet.

I am nobody

Post by I am nobody » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:07 am

Auron wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:50 pm
Persona 5 was the first Persona game to not have the Shin Megami Tensei name attached to the title, so I would assume that any of those characters at least are, in fact, original.
Didn't know there was a book before the SMT games, but I've read the design books for P3-5 and none of them made any mention of it or any other external source. If they had a non-game influence, it was small enough that they had to develop all of the characters essentially from scratch.

Auron

Post by Auron » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:10 pm

^To be perfectly honest, I didn't know about that either. I just thought it was the creator's name or something. Kind of like how they stamp Sid Meier on every Civilization game.

I REALLY HATE PRESENTS!

Post by I REALLY HATE PRESENTS! » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:28 pm

X-3 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:54 pm
Persona is a spin-off series of SMT, a series that has become kind-of detached from the original Megami Tensei books. I say 'kind-of' because it's undeniable that the (mainline SMT) series still draws from MT a lot in a lot of ways as you can read from that synopsis, such as core stuff like summoning demons digitally. Regardless I'd say that it doesn't really affect Goku's chances...because Nintendo and Sakurai generally do whatever the hell they want. It's not like Shinzo Abe is going to step in and say, "wait there Nintendo, you can't add Anne of Green Gables!"
Yeah, from what I can tell, the games have certainly diverged significantly from the source material, especially the spin-offs. However, it is definitely the start of the series. It would be like claiming the Dragon Ball Heroes series or crappy Dragonball movie isn't part of the Dragon Ball franchise just because it's they're so far removed from the original manga.

Also pretty important, apparently is wasn't just that the game was based on the book, but the author also contributed to the game himself. The connection doesn't get much stronger than that, imo.

You're probably right about it not improving Goku's chances of getting in the game, either they'll add him because they feel they should or want to, or they won't. I think it does quell fan debate over what franchises are allowed in though (I really don't think they have hard rules, more like guidelines).
Auron wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:50 pm
I noticed that too, but looking into it they dropped the Shin Megami Tensei name from Persona 4 when they added the word Golden to the rerelease, so P5 is technically not the first Persona game to drop the title, and that didn't retroactively make the characters original for lack of the moniker. Also, other sub-series in the franchise aside from Persona have dropped and brought it back as well, apparently they're pretty inconsistent with naming conventions, so that's not really indicative of anything after all.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:28 am

"It seems that a bomb might be able to destroy it." I'm playing as freaking Link!

Christmas PDN

Post by Christmas PDN » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:18 am

I REALLY HATE PRESENTS! wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:34 am
Huh, didn't see that coming. I guess that means Persona 5 is probably coming to Switch because that's pretty random.
Persona Q2.

CaptHayfever
Supermod

Post by CaptHayfever » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:48 am

Tripped over some cool info, but it's a massive spoiler for WoL, so even in this thread, I'm tagging it:
Spoiler.
There are 3 endings: 2 bad & 1 good.

Also, how the crap do I deliver 400 damage in less than a minute with a team consisting of Kirby, Mario, Villager, Link, Capt. Falcon & Lucario? (Link & the Captain have come close.)

Validecember
Supermod

Post by Validecember » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:53 am

heh

Marilincarnation
Supermod

Post by Marilincarnation » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:02 am

^some of these are amazing

I REALLY HATE PRESENTS!

Post by I REALLY HATE PRESENTS! » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:06 pm

I kinda wish they had a way to just automatically unlock all characters.

Sim Kid

Post by Sim Kid » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:33 pm

I REALLY HATE PRESENTS! wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:06 pm
I kinda wish they had a way to just automatically unlock all characters.

Dunno, this is kinda what it was like in the past - when the characters were hidden behind a playwall and not a paywall.

I REALLY HATE PRESENTS!

Post by I REALLY HATE PRESENTS! » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:21 pm

^ It certainly beats a paywall but I don't really have interest in the single player like I did as a kid. They should give you a few unlock coins or something so that you can at least get your mains.

X-3

Post by X-3 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:20 pm

I'm a bit mixed. On the one hand it's fun to unlock stuff, on the other it is a bit of a grind. In my case I've been doing Classic Mode for every unlock so I get a bit of burn-out. (I enjoy figuring out the little 'connections' between the character you played as and the one you're unlocking)

ScottyMcGee

Post by ScottyMcGee » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:15 am

Marilincarnation wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:23 am
I’m really enjoying the breadth of single-player content in this game. I guess I’d be considered a “hardcore” player and I’ve won tournaments and stuff, but the joy of just sitting on my couch and seeing how each character’s classic mode is configured is awesome. And I haven’t even started World of Light yet.
There are a couple things I miss. Namely home run contest and break the targets. Like you said, I do enjoy the little quirks in classic mode for each character. For example, Ryu's classic mode is made up entirely of stamina battles since it hearkens back to Street Fighter. All the stages are omega stages too.

One thing confused me though. Why is Jigglypuff's final boss a giant Donkey Kong? I was expecting it to be Mewtwo or something like with Pikachu. I'm blanking out on a reason why Jigglypuff would be associated with Donkey Kong.

I'm hoping World of Light has more cutscenes. . . because when you start it, it's just the trailer we saw already. I found that a bit underwhelming. I was expecting something more interesting.

The one character that pissed me off to unlock was Palutena. I was breezing through and then had to re-do her fight like 3 times. It was really jarring playing on that damn massive Kid Icarus stage. I must have cursed a thousand times.

Return to “Super Smash Bros.: Final Destination”