Sunk Cost Fallacy

The legendary VGF.com Misc forum for general and random topics.

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

Valigarmander
Supermod

Sunk Cost Fallacy

Post by Valigarmander » Sun May 20, 2018 5:41 am

Essentially, when you continue to do something because you've already invested a lot of time and resources into it, even though rationally you'd be better off quitting. Does this ever happen to you?

This hasn't been a problem for me with video games simply because I don't buy very many new games anymore, but it does happen occasionally with books. There have been a few times in the last couple years I've stuck with a thoroughly unenjoyable book to the end thinking "well, I'm already over 200 pages in, I can't give up now". Most books I pick up I end up enjoying, but I do seem to have a bad habit of not being able to abandon bad ones partway through.

New! Tazy Ten

Re: Sunk Cost Fallacy

Post by New! Tazy Ten » Sun May 20, 2018 2:21 pm

I'm a very patient person, so as a result I don't actually know for sure if I liked or hated a game until I'm done with it. Very rarely have I given up on a game because it was bad but even then it's because it was bad immediately or impenetrable like a wall.

I have fallen to sunken cost a couple times but that is usually because the game is uninteresting in the post game but by that point I've already beaten the main story so what's the point of stopping now?

MeowMan

Post by MeowMan » Sun May 20, 2018 3:05 pm

I don't usually do this with games because I have too short an attention span to even finish games I like most of the time, but also, I don't usually come to opinion on something until a bit after I've experienced it.

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:36 am

Had this exact situation occur in my life recently. :/

Resigned and all good now... :D
She lives in the clouds and talks to the birds...

Happiest faerie of VGF.

е и ժ е я
Supermod
Location: Enough. My tilde has tired and shall take its leave of you.

Post by е и ժ е я » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:19 pm

Life doesn't always behave the way we're taught it should, and quitting is often discouraged as the coward's way out. Wish I could easily admit something was over and done, but instead I'm always finding new ways to bother myself with old data.
I muttered 'light as a board, stiff as a feather' for 2 days straight and now I've ascended, ;aughing at olympus and zeus is crying

steeze

Post by steeze » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:37 pm

I was a little behind on my bills at one point this year. But I bought a 55 Gallon fish tank and tried to get into Aquascaping. To make a long story short, about 800 dollars later all my plants are dead after hours and hours and hours of work over the past few months.

So I'm pretty pissed. it's either quit or spend more money.
And I still have lots of bills.
And 55 gallons of water in the other room lol.

Return to “Miscellaneous: Bubble Time”