UK Pokemon Importers Could Face Legal Action

Everything Ninty!!

Moderator: Heroine of the Dragon

Metal Mario

UK Pokemon Importers Could Face Legal Action

Post by Metal Mario » Mon Apr 28, 2003 4:27 pm

*Source: GamerFeed

Nintendo has issued a warning today to all retailers in the UK who are importing copies of Pokemon Sapphire and Pokemon Ruby for the GBA. The company has indicated that Nintendo will take legal action if the importing becomes more widespread.

The GBA cartridges do not have a regional lockout protection, which enables gamers and retailers alike to import the much anticipated Pokemon games from the US, as the UK launch is still approximately 2 months away. The US versions were both released 2 weeks ago.

Many importers in the UK at independent retailers are selling the Pokemon games. Some of the retailers are even able to sell the games cheaper than what Nintendo is planning on having them charge in two months. This has caused many retailers to begin importing the game from the US at a fairly irregular rate, something that will hinder the official Nintendo launch of the game on July 25th.

Nintendo's UK general manager, Andy Williams, commented on the issue in a recent article in a UK trade paper called MVC. "Nintendo is monitoring the situation closely and is prepared to take legal action against importers and retailers should the number become significant. The games currently on sale are not intended for sale within the EEA."

Williams also noted that at the present time the importing is not significant enough to cause serious damage to the UK launch; however, that could change.

Heroine of the Dragon
Administrator

Post by Heroine of the Dragon » Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:26 am

I dunno how many Aussies import games. If I could find someone who'd import Tactics Ogre, I'd buy it in a second... shame the release dates are so spread apart around the world. :D
She lives in the clouds and talks to the birds...

Happiest faerie of VGF.

Lava

Post by Lava » Thu May 01, 2003 9:32 pm

Originally posted by CaptHayfever:
What's the problem with imports? As long as it's paid for and not stolen, who cares what country it's from?

And remember, "I'm-a Luigi, number one!"

Return to “Nintendo Main”